Does Anyone Know Hooton Levitt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Anyone Know Hooton Levitt?

It is possible that my great aunt did. There exists a postacrd that may be from her to a Mrs Gorrill of Hooton Levitt, written in the 1920s.

This is not my neck of the woods. Googling, using freebmd etc (I don't have Ancestry) I've found a Thomas, son of Samuel Gorrill (who ran the 3Tuns in Stainton and had another son who died in WW1). Thomas married Alice Minton in 1906, but I've just got the Rotherham registration district to go on.

Hooton Levitt sounds vanishingly small. Does anyone know any online sites that might show Thomas in the 1920s, in directories etc?
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

It's in my Atlas near Maltby which is near Rotherham .... which is near Sheffield

Is that what you wanted to know ?

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

It was one one of my regular Saturday bike rides around that area in the late 1950s. I should think Curious Fox will have a map.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

There's these deaths on Ancestry:

Dorothea Gorrill 9 Apr 1925 - Jul 1996 aged 71 Rotherham Derbyshire, Yorkshire
        View Record
        Fred Gorrill 1 Feb 1923 - Mar 1988 aged 65 Rotherham Derbyshire, Yorkshire
        View Record
        Harold Gorrill 15 Feb 1901 - Jan 1987 aged 85 Rotherham Derbyshire, Yorkshire
        View Record
        Violet Gorrill 11 Apr 1907 - Jun 1998 aged 91 Rotherham Derbyshire, Yorkshire

At a guess, Harold married Violet and she gave birth to Fred who then married Dorothea.......

Obviously no one was allowed to move house!!

Edit: Maybe Violet was a bit young for the above!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
          It was one one of my regular Saturday bike rides around that area in the late 1950s. I should think Curious Fox will have a map.
          That's a long way to cycle from Bedfordshire, Uncle John?!!

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
            That's a long way to cycle from Bedfordshire, Uncle John?!!
            Silly Billy :p

Comment

I had the dubious pleasure of driving through Hooton Levitt, in July when the main roads near here were closed due to the flooding, I was trying to get to Maltby & my trusty (?) satnav thought sending me through all the tiny villages with single track roads was a viable alternative (other than heading about 50 miles out of my way via Leeds - don't ask

It does look like a lovely place, and so remote, despite being spitting distance from the great conurbation. The countryside thereabouts is lovely to walk or cycle around.

Phoenix, were they farmers? dont suppose there was much else going on then
              Vicky

Comment

Hi All
                I am completely baffled by this, as I never knew that my Norfolk folk had any connection with Yorkshire.... apart from a frustrating family rumour of relations with a haberdashers in Hull... but there's this postcard:

Norfolk History - Letheringsett Gallery

and the handwriting does look like my Aunt Beat's - though that may be the influence of a village school.

Aunt Beat was in service in Surrey, married a Londoner and died young. Her only son died childless a few years ago, so there is really nobody left to ask.

It might be a friend or employer, but the complete absence of names really doesn't help. Perhaps Mrs Gorrill had been in service with Beat - following Merry's finds on Ancestry? If she's Alice Minton, she must have been an employer - but who would be in service in Hooton Levitt?
                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicky the Viking View Post
                  I had the dubious pleasure of driving through Hooton Levitt, in July when the main roads near here were closed due to the flooding, I was trying to get to Maltby & my trusty (?) satnav thought sending me through all the tiny villages with single track roads was a viable alternative (other than heading about 50 miles out of my way via Leeds - don't ask

It does look like a lovely place, and so remote, despite being spitting distance from the great conurbation. The countryside thereabouts is lovely to walk or cycle around.
                  ISTR it's on a hill (hence the Levitt), with a steep road down to the main A631. History lesson - the A631 is the Tinsley-Bawtry Turnpike.

Carr windmill was another favourite place for a bike ride. I saw my first triangulation pillar there.

Comment

It looks lovely .... but are you sure the 'G' is not an initial ?

(sorry if I'm not taking things in properly just now) ...

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Oooh heck, more places I don't know! Step outside Surrey (I think my first trig point was Box Hill) and I'm lost. I don't even have any os maps for the area. It sounds lovely, though.

Comment

That's a possibility, Rachel, but there is a Gorrill family in the registration district and I'm assuming her capital Os would be bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                          Oooh heck, more places I don't know! Step outside Surrey (I think my first trig point was Box Hill) and I'm lost. I don't even have any os maps for the area. It sounds lovely, though.
                          The thing is, that area of South Yorkshire was stuffed full of active coalmines, of which the last remaining one is at Maltby. In between the pit villages was wonderful countryside and villages that go back to the Doomsday Book.

Comment

Working...
                          X