Mills in a muddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mills in a muddle

Looking for Jane Mills born Newcastle-upon Tyne in q1 1838 I found 3 of them!
    25 246, 25 292, 25 305.

But then I couldn't find the image because the GRO had numbered the index pages out of order (pages 439 and 440 reversed) and Ancestry scanned them in page number order. I found them all OK in FreeBMD.

Has anyone tried to get the correct certificate from GRO when there's such an embarrassment of identical entries? I know the parents' names but I want to avoid paying £4 each for the two duds.

I've chickened out of this conundrum and am trying the alternative route of ordering by post from Newcastle register office. I've modified the order form to show all 3 register references. I hope they're up for the challenge.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Uncle John, the GRO reference numbers won't be any use to Newcastle Register Office, or do you mean you have found the corresponding references on the Newcastle BMD site?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

If you use GRO reference checking you give them all the references you have and then the criteria you want to match i.e. parents names and then they check them until they find the right one.

They also have an option to ask them to check all of the references even if they think they have the right person on the first one they check just in case the names are similar.

(Does that make sense?)

This costs your normal £7 plus £3 to check the refs.
      Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

I would use the local RO for this but email them first before ordering. I usually write something like:

I would like to order a birth certificate for Jane Bloggs, born in 1856, whose parents are Fred and Mabel.

I see that there are three possibilities in the time frame. Are you able to supply me with the reference for the correct one, please?

This works 99 times out of 100, and in the good old days, Salford RO would sent out the correct cert before I had even paid for it!!

OC

Comment

Never fear, I did find all three in the Newcastle BMDs. When I printed out the order form for one of them it included the local register ref., so I accessed the other two, noted their ref. numbers and wrote them on my form.

I didn't think to email them first, but I'm hopeful they'll come up with the goods.

I see what you are saying, Zoe, but I'm an impatient skinflint!

Comment

UPDATE

Certificate received today. Downside is that it's written out, but I suppose the 1838 register is too fragile to copy.

Comment

Working...
            X