Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Quick" as a first name

Has anyone else ever come across this?

My ggg grandfathers's brother was Quick Nutter b c1828 at Briercliffe, nr Burnley, Lancs. I've tracked him from birth to death.

Quick was the former name of Saddleworth, Yorkshire although Quick was a Lancashire lad, and "wick" is a Lancs dialect word my dad uses which means lively; then again there's quick as in the quick and the dead from the prayer book.

Off to bed now, see you tomorrow.

Perhaps "Quick" because he was expected to die and it was a celebration of his survival? Mind you, with a surname like Nutter...
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I've looked for it in 'What's in a name' ...... just curious

there's a Quique which is apparently a pet name for Enrique (Spanish)

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Maybe it's a family surname being used as his first name?

Comment

I would agree with Merry that it is probably a family name.

In my tree I have two men, father and son, called Newbourn Wood. The younger one was my 3xgt grandfather, and he was born in Scotton Lincolnshire. I believe there is a village there of that name!
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I'm going to go with the surname theory and look in to any other Quicks in the area.

Comment

This is a favourite Lancashire habit. Many of my Lancashire lot have daft names and frequently use surnames as first names.

(Nell - look away now, lol)

Holden Holden
              Briggs Holden
              Holden Briggs
              Fish Holden
              Holden Fish
              Fish Briggs
              Briggs Fish
              Briggs Briggs
              Shepherd Shepherd
              Kay Holden Briggs
              Holden Kay Briggs
              Holden Kay Holden
              Doctor Holden
              Squire Holden
              Kay Kay and my favourite:

Fish Fish! (And there is more than one Fish Fish)

OC

Comment

Watch it, OC....we'll be back to that family with lots of Preserved Fish in a minute!

Comment

Very unimaginative, I must say, though I do have a chap with a surname as first name way back in my tree - Frost Massingham. Sounds a bit better than Fish Fish!

Comment

I think my sons are grateful that I didn't revive the habit and give either of them Nutter as a first name! Looking at the gedcom on FTF I seem to have cornered the market in Nutters.

Comment

Jill

I don't want to muddy your pond, lol, but I noticed that some Lancashire Nutters evolved into Nuttells, whether by intention or speech impediment I really cannot say!

OC

Comment

OC -I'll have to tell dad - his best friend is a Nuttall. All my Nutter contacts are all convinced we are connected to the Alice Nutter who was hanged for witchcraft. All conjecture of course!

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                          Maybe it's a family surname being used as his first name?
                          I agree. I knew a family surnamed Quick. This practice has occurred in my family. It has proved to be quite useful when otherwise the given and surnames were quite ordinary.
                          Len of the Chilterns passed away July 2021

Comment

I agree it can be very useful. My gt x 2 grandfather Emmets Matthews was named for his paternal grandmother. Very useful as it enabled me to establish which Richard & Ann were his ancestors. Similarly, all Emmets' 5 sons (none of them named Emmets!) named sons with Emmets as 1st or 2nd name, which again helped pick them out from various other potential Matthews.

Comment

Working...
                            X