X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Annies - opinions please

Nother Update - see post 51, especially for Merry

UPDATE - see post 20, especially for Merry

I have the marriage cert. of Annie Clasper in 1913, when she says she is 20 - ie born c1893

There are 2 births on FreeBMD for Annie Clasper in Durham, 1886 & 1892, I have both, and they have the same parents.

There is one death in Dec qtr 1892, given age 0. The transcription is from a typed list which definitely says 0.

Do you reckon that the 0 is a misread 6 from the original.

Otherwise it means they gave a child who (as it turned out only lived a few months) the same name as one that was alive, and the surviving Annie lied about her age by 6 yrs when she got married.

I would add, that think I've found mother Susanna with 2 children, but no Annie in 1901 (father John probably in prison). RG12/4181/93/3

I know I could order the cert. but I've already spent more on this branch than I wanted to.

Thanks for your opinions.
    Last edited by Mavis by the Moor; 22-12-07, 13:36.
    Mavis
    Dust is a noun, never a verb;)

Have you eliminated these two on the 1901?

Annie CLASPER 16 Durham, Grangevilla living Ouston
    Annie CLASPER 18 Bishopwearmouth Durham, living Seaham

Jools

Comment

Hi Jools,

Can't get into Ancestry to look (grr), but hopefully these are the ones born 1882 & 1884, unless she lied about her age on marriage mine should not have been born until 1892 so should only be 9 in 1901.
      Mavis

Comment

I noticed she has a middle initial M on the marriage index, which would bring these into play:

Births Q2 1892
        Clasper Mary Hannah Gateshead 10a 1000

Births Q1 1894
        Clasper Mary Annie Gateshead 10a 936

Comment

Thank you Merry!!!! There I am trying not to buy a death cert, and now you give me an alternative birth cert. to worry about. She married as Annie Mary, which would make Mary Annie a possibility. **********
          Mavis

Comment

Sorry Mavis!

in 1901 there's Mary H (Hannah?) with parents John R and Mary living at Longbenton, Northumberland

and Mary dau of Edward Wm and Janet, living at Westgate, Durham.

I couldn't find Susanna and children...the ref you gave was 1891 I think.....

Have you got the marriage cert with dad's name??

Comment

Father's name John (and there's plenty of John Claspers in Co Durham!). Yes Susannah ref was 1891, haven't found her on 1901, but no death on FreeBMD either. I can't even get into Ancestry to follow any leads at the moment.
              Mavis

Comment

I have a child who died at a few weeks old, had his birth and death registered on the same day but the informant (who was a neighbour) got his
                1st name wrong and had him registered as Walter but he was baptised the day after his birth as Frank. The parents already had a son called Walter who was much older and lived.

This baby was registered and buried as Walter Sunley but in reality his name was Frank Sunley. I suspect his parents probably never knew of this error.

Don't take the indexes for granted, check for her baptism record to be sure of her name.

George
                Proud to be connected to Elizabeth (Marjorie) Griffin, one of over 100,000 British Home Children sent from United Kingdom to Canada & Australia to begin a new life.

Comment

I've found Susannah in 1901:

RG13; Piece: 4756; Folio: 111; Page: 22

John is a river waterman. They have a dau aged 4 called Anne, but she seems a bit young.

Mary Hannah's father was John too.....But I'm wondering if the one called Mary I found maybe didn't have a middle name so we have not yet found Mary Annie on the 1901?

What was John's occupation?

Comment

Hmmm, there are no plain Mary's or any other Mary X's (middle name) registered in Gateshead 1891-1895.

Comment

Thanks for that encouraging thought George (lol). From your experience it's possible that the second Annie wasn't an Annie, but her birth & death was registered with that name. Which leaves me wth Merry's Mary Annie, or an Annie that lied about her age.

I'm really going off this Clasper line, every step is incredibly hard work!!!

Still can't get into Ancestry.
                      Mavis

Comment

You don't happen to know when she died, do you?

Comment

Oh Merry!! 1886 Annies' birth certs give father as waterman, 1892 a labourer in shipyard; 1913 marriage cert, gives father as miner;
                          1881 census John & Susannah (RG11/5017/119/39), John is a coal trimmer!!
                          Yes Annie should really be 8, but both certs I have the parents are John & Susannah, don't tell me they called another one Annie!!
                          Mavis

Comment

Don't know for sure when she died, Merry. Might be able to get an idea, think it was 1970's.
                            Mavis

Comment

If it was after 1969 the death index entry will give her supposed dob!

Comment

Mavis, these are three John Claspers from TNA 1901 census index with correct occupations:

John Clasper 41 Durham Durham Durham Sherburn Coal Miner Engineman Above Gd
                                John Clasper 31 Durham Waldridge Durham Waldridge Coal Miner Hewer
                                John G Clasper 32 Durham East Murton Durham East Murton Coal Miner Hewer

I'm going to try and find each of them on Ancestry to see hwat kids they have.....

Comment

John Clasper 41, wife Maria, 7 sons, two daus, neither are Ann or Mary and they are aged 6 mths and 16 years in 1901.

Comment

John Clasper 31, wife Margaret, only one child....Thomas aged 1.

Comment

John G Clasper 32, wife Mary, children Jane 7 Elizabeth 5 and William 2.

So that didn't seem to work too well!

Comment

I tried Coal* and Hewer* as occs, but didn't turn up any more John's except teenage boys. :(

Comment

Working...
                                        X