Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

James Robins - did he try to fake his death in a canoe and forget to register it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Robins - did he try to fake his death in a canoe and forget to register it?

James Robins married Priscilla Marsden 1822 in St Botolph Bishopsgate. They had 12 children between 1823-1842.
    Address from 1834 onwards was 29 and/or 30 Old Street Road [sometimes just Old Street], Shoreditch.

Cannot find James, Priscilla or their younger children 1841.

Priscilla is at 100 Hoxton Old Town in 1851, Head married 49 brokeress.

1861 25 Old Castle Street, Bethnal Green
    Priscilla Robins abt 1803 Clearkenwell, Middlesex, Head mar 58 furniture broker

1871 Priscilla is 31 Playhouse Yard, Whitecross Street, St Luke's.
    Head widow 68 general dealer

Only deaths 1861-71 for James Robins are either in totally wrong area or I've sent for them and they aren't right.

HELP!
    Last edited by Little Nell; 09-12-07, 23:30.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

what were the younger ones called?
    Jess

Comment

LOL Nell
      that title certainly got my atention.
      wonder what people will make of Darwins death registration in the future years.

Comment

LOL! Have you checked deaths in Cuba!!

Maybe if he wasn't home on census nights he could have been abroad scouting for furniture?

Comment

Have you found James on any census?
          Mavis
          Dust is a noun, never a verb;)

Comment

I'm sorry, but I seem to have the name "Robins" down on my blacklist of names that are dangerous to one's health, esp when it comes to family history lookups......:(

Other names on the list are:

Ariel
            Dudley
            Penny
            Holden
            Sudders
            Allender
            Walkden

and a few others......

Comment

I presume you've tried under Robbins as well? Do you think he could have died in another country? Might also explain why he can't be found on the censuses.
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I do not have James Robins on any census. His wife is on 1851, 61 as married and 1871 as widowed.

The children were:
                1 JAMES ROBINS b. 1 Mar 1823 bapt 06 APR 1823 Christ Church Greyfriars Newgate
                Address: Angel Street, father's occupation: clerk
                2 WILLM. ROBINS bapt 19 DEC 1824 St Giles Cripplegate, London, London
                Address: Monkwell Street [near Barbican] father's occupation: clerk
                3 PRISCILLA ROBINS b. 7th (1st?) Feb 1826 bapt 03 SEP 1826 Saint Giles Cripplegate, London
                Address: Peerless Row, clerk
                4 LOUISA ROBINS b 2 Mar 1827 bapt 09 NOV 1828 Saint Giles Cripplegate, London
                5 *JOHN ROBINS b 29 May 1828 bapt 09 NOV 1828 Saint Giles Cripplegate, London
                Address: Peerless Row, clerk
                6 * JANE ELIZABETH ROBBINS b 23 Aug 1830, bapt 11 MAR 1832 Saint Leonards, Shoreditch
                7 ALGENON ALBERT ROBBINS b 19 Feb 1832, bapt 11 MAR 1832 Saint Leonards, Shoreditch
                Address: Union Street, Hoxton. Occupation: broker
                8 *Caroline/Emily 1833
                9 GEORGE HENRY ROBBINS b 30 Jan 1835 bapt 23 FEB 1835 Saint Leonards, Shoreditch
                10 FREDERICK ROBBINS b 17 Jul 1836 bpt 01 AUG 1836 Saint Leonards, Shoreditch,
                Address: Old Street Road, Hoxton. Occupation: broker.
                11 *Reuben Robins b 24 Oct 1838 no baptism found
                12* HARRIET ROBINS b 17 Feb 1842, bapt 09 MAR 1842 Saint Leonards, Shoreditch, London
                *all with Priscilla in 1851 census

It's possible that he died abroad - but I can't think why he would be abroad?
                Yes, I've tried Robbins.

Comment

Don't forget, it wasn't compulsory to register a death until 1875 (same as births)

Comment

I know! But most of this family did register their events. I'm just peeved that James disappears and isn't on any census, wretched man!

Comment

and even more peeved that he died in London which is a blinkin' nuisance to find burials for!

Comment

Update

Bearing in mind that James' son William was tried for theft at the Old Bailey 1845 (found innocent, on evidence provided by both James and William's future father-in-law Joseph James Denison) but ended up 1871 in Parkhurst, and that James himself was listed at the Old Bailey on a charge of fraud, for which there was "no bill" I presume because not enough evidence, I think maybe James wasn't of good character and deliberately chose not to appear on the census to evade the authorities?

The 1823 "no bill" coincides with his career change (as detailed in his children's baptisms) from clerk in the City of London to furniture broker in Shoreditch.

Comment

Working...
                        X