Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to find a photograph?

Apologies as i will have to come back to this tomorrow but here goes

I have found a rellie in the forces during WW2, he made it as far as brigadier by the time he died in 1962. During his career he had progressed through the ranks, earned the Distinguished Service Order and was awarded an OBE.

Any ideas where i might possibly find a photograph? I have tried variants of his rank and name via google and the regimental sites but nothing comes up. I have his service number and regiment from the DSO award but that was in 1946.

Where to look next?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

This is a long shot, but worth a try?

Contact Us

I'm thinking praps the Royal archives..??
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Try contacting Regimental Hdq/or Museum ,also Times online is very good.

Whoops sorry, just saw Toms advice too.

Trish

Comment

Glen this is a World War Two forum - along the lines of the WWI which is so brilliant.

I'm sure if you posted your request there they'd tell you exactly where to find it - you never know, one of them may even have the photo you're after!!

World War II Forums
        Last edited by Snowdrops in Bloom; 09-12-07, 11:55.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I have to look into one or two things anyway but this chap appears everywhere so the local papers might be a challenge.

He was born somewhere near Newark (awaiting the cert to confirm where), his folks moved to Skegness and he died in Nigeria. A son was in Sandhurst a few years later (marriage announcement) so there is quite a bit to go at.

Most of the stuff for his regiment appears to be WW1 references but i could also try the museum for them and the county library perhaps.

Tom

Strange you should mention the Green Howards, my late father was with them but i never knew till after he died, my mum wanted some details so i will have a look at the link you gave.

Cheers

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

You could try here:

IWM Collections Online: Search Photographs Archive

It's also worthwhile contacting them as they may have something and not have scanned it or be able to suggest somewhere. I've used them a lot for work and they're incredibly helpful people.
            Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Zoe

Thanks for that, there are a couple of useful looking items for another military connection i have.

Snowdrops, i have posted a request on the site you gave, hopefully a resident expert can help.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Glen, surely there must be pics of when he picked up his OBE and DSO? And very likely for his obit in 1962 in Nigeria??

Comment

Fingers crossed for you Glen.

Comment

Wendy P kindly found and sent some press cuttings to me, hopefully she won't mind me posting one here,

After looking at the TNA download again i realise it is listed as the recommendation for the DSO but is really the recommendation for immeadiate award of the OBE.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Hi All

No problem with me so long as its within the sites copyright issues.
                      WendyP

Comment

Working...
                      X