Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone read this occupation please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone read this occupation please?

1851 census:

HO107/1659 Folio 568 Page 28
    John Mundell

Does it say jailer????

Thank you

Does look like it!

Otherwise it might be a ropey effort on tailor or sailor (as it's Portsea)....but jailer is what it looks like!

Comment

Ok, thanks Merry.

Comment

Looking at the J in his name and those of his wife and children, I'd say yes, jailer.
        Joy

Comment

It does look like jailer (or actually like jaile) though I would have thought he would be based in a prison if he was a jailer?

If he was a jailer though, you could find out which prison and maybe get some further gen about him.

I suppose to confirm you could get birth cert of child born nearest 1851 and hope its written more clearly!
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I agree Nell!
            I think there was a big prison in Portsea, but I've never seen a prison worker referred to as "jailer" before.
            But presumably wives and children of prison workers didn't all live in the prison ........................

Comment

If this says jailer, then I am a bit puzzled - the word used would have been gaoler, surely? Isn't jail a modern spelling?

OC

Comment

1861 census he seems to be transcribed as Blundell - occupation Tailor
                RG9; Piece: 642; Folio: 128; Page: 25;
                Elaine

Comment

Nice one Elaine!!!!

Thank you!
                  (I thought jailer was a bit odd! Interesting- but odd!)

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                    If this says jailer, then I am a bit puzzled - the word used would have been gaoler, surely? Isn't jail a modern spelling?

OC
                    OC, jail goes back at least to the time of Dr. Johnson and Boswell, so it could have been used in 1851.

Roger

Comment

Thanks for your help people, but after all that, he's not mine!

I thought Mundall was a variation on Mandell (as they both seemed to be in the same places!) but it's not!

Mundall is English origin, Mandell is German origin.

Drat!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X