medals can anyone identify them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• medals can anyone identify them?

2 are from france i know that,brenda xxx;)

Are these WW1 medals - if so the top three from left to right look like
    1914/15 Star
    The British Medal
    The Victory Medal

commonly known as Pip, Squeak and Wilfred!
    First World War.com - Encyclopedia - Pip, Squeak and Wilfred
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 08-12-07, 12:42.
    Elaine

Comment

bren

to speed up seaching was he in the army, Raf or navy ??

Comment

The top 3 definitely seem to be the campaign medals known as Pip Squeak and Wilfred..........

Comment

he was in the army and 2 medals at the bottom were given for bravery in france brenda xxx
          Last edited by Guest; 09-12-07, 21:26.

Comment

Have a look at this site - its got pictures and details of French medals on. The one on the right looks like the Legion of Honour and the left one looks like the Croix de Guerre (not that I'm an expert). I don't know the significance of the crown type thing above the medals.

French War Medals Photos. France WW1 WW2 all periods

Jackie
            Jackie

Comment

yes your right someone got them for me and i wondered what the top 3 were,as he seems to be stood in front of a sign saying ambulance so i wondered if they were to do with that?brenda xxx two bottom are the french but ave crowns at the top.

Comment

The top three medals were for his ww1 war service........they got the nik-names Pip, Squeak and Wilfred........

Comment

thankyou barbara,i never knew my grandad as he left my nannie and went off with someone else and had 3 boys to her,i have just found my half cousin who gave me this picture of him.brenda xxx

Comment

i was told french?croix du guerre is that not french?and leopold i thought was french,
                    what would they have been given for,i think his second family of sons got the medals brenda xxx what is the 1914/15 one for ?was it for anything to do with ambulance?

Comment

bob how do i download his medal cards from archives?i will see if my half cousin has any more info on them .i dont like using my card on the internet brenda xxx

Comment

bob i have a copy of a report as my grandad was a cadet first and got this comendation,and the other shows he served in france,and one of the medals for bravery

one is very hard to read and its the one with most info on.xxx
                        Last edited by Guest; 13-12-07, 20:56.

Comment

and his medal for bravery brenda xxx

Comment

bob i bet you think im thick,(i hope not lol)i clicked the link,but what do i do when i go on there ? tom he was a one of the first mini cab hankney taxi driver, when they first came out .brenda xxx
                            Last edited by Guest; 13-12-07, 20:55.

Comment

thankyou BOB i have changed the tom to bob,dont know why i kept putting tom ll brenda xxx

Comment

Working...
                              X