Baptism question 1840s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baptism question 1840s

I have four baptisms for my Clark children in Bristol, but they are only the daughters. The two sons are not mentioned. I found them on Family search and they are extracted.

Can anyone suggest where (or how) I might find the boys. The boys were born in between the eldest and youngest girls and their address remained the same.

I think some transcriptions only include girls (or only boys). Goodness know why - it must have made the job more difficult!

It just shows that the transcriptions on the IGI are not perhaps not always as complete as we would wish.

If you have an LDS centre near you, perhaps you could order the microfilm and search it yourself?

Anne

Comment

Thanks Anne...

Seems like more work to just transcribe one sex, but hadn't thought of that.

Comment

There was a thread about this on GR years back. I've found several batches that only included females, can't remember the reasoning behind it.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

J and K batches are the single sex extractions, usually.

I used to know the reason for these too, but have completely forgotten what it was!

I do know that some very old parish registers had separate lists of boys. These were compiled for the benefit of the Manor Lords etc, who were obliged to form an army when required, and would choose their men from the list, usually being careful to take only one male from each family.

They were also handy lists for various taxation agencies, too!

OC

Comment

No so handy for us, OC lol.

I'll really show how dumb I am now, what are J and K batches?

Comment

Harry's mum

IGI batch numbers are C (Christenings) M (marriages) and P (parishes - meaning, I think, the main Mother church in the area, head office if you like.

Batch numbers beginning with J and K are the single sex listings, and although they are usually described as "extracted" I do have my doubts about this, or rather, I have my doubts about exactly what they are extracted FROM - an original, or a transcription???

I rarely use them, even as reference, and have never actually ordered one to see what the film consists of. I will investigate a bit.

OC

Comment

Right, forget all that tripe above.

I picked one at random and it is a list of males (J) baptised in a non con chapel.

The film notes say it is extracted from the original film of the register. And the dates are mid to late 1800s, so forget the army tally roll thingy, it certainly doesn't apply as late as this, and wouldn't be applicable to a small local non con church anyway.

Next time I visit the LDS centre, I will ask the reason (again!) and write it down this time!

OC

Comment

Thanks OC, the Clarks are all C extracts.

Comment

Have you tried calling up baptisms with that C ref without putting in a name, just to check whether the whole batch is just girls or if it is just your family that only has girls transcribed? If the latter it could be that your family decided to have the girls baptised in mum's home church and the boys in dad's church or some such? I have come across this once in the past when the parents couldn't agree if they were C of E or chapel so took the girls to one and boys to the other!
                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

No.....but I will right now.

Comment

All girls...............but all have surnames starting with A,B,C or K. ?????

Comment

Well I know in one of my villiages, that there are no male extractions after 1812. All the girls have been extracted though.

The boys have all been baptised and they are all also on the extracted IGI microfiche, just never made it onto the internet.

It may just be some parishes someone never got around to finishing and putting on line.

Comment

Peppie

Yes, it almost seems as if someone said "You do the boys and I'll do the girls" - but why? Such an awkward way to work.

OC

Comment

I have come across this once in the past when the parents couldn't agree if they were C of E or chapel so took the girls to one and boys to the other!
                              Sounds familiar - my MIL's father was a Methodist while her mother was Anglican. The first-, third- and fifth-born children went to one church, while the second-, fourth- and sixth-born went to the other. Numerically if not gender balanced, lol. This was in Newfoundland in the 1910's to 1930's.

Tim
                              "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Tim.....that was my thought here. With the children's uncle being a C of E minister, were the sons baptised by him in his parish for some reason? Just have no idea what parish to look in. They travelled all over the place with houses in several towns.

Comment

Working...
                                X