What happened to her?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to her?

Have lost Frances Mary Connell. Various spellings Cunnell / Connell / Cunnall/ Cannell

She was born 1869 in Baltonsborough, Somerset. Her mother died shortly afterwards and not sure what happened to her father Amos.

1871 she is living in the same place with her Aunt and Uncle. RG10 2449/7 pg 5

I assume she stayed there until her Aunt died in 1878.

1881 she pops up in a Private? Orphange in Putney, London. (London is where her parents married) surname spelled Cumnell. RG11 663/81 pg 15 & 16

Have tried to find her in 1891 and looked for a marriage for her but can't see her. Anyone see anything likely?
    Last edited by Nana Anna; 15-12-07, 19:53.

RG12; Piece: 2680; Folio 160; Page 3
    Elaine

Comment

Ah thanks Elaine - I'm no longer subcribed to Ancestry though - is it her? Is she still single? Anyone want to buy me an Ancestry sub for Christmas? :D

Comment

sorry - I´ll do a transcription - back in a mo!
        Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine ;)

Comment

Francis Mary Connell - female, single
            born c 1870 Baltonsborough, Somerset.
            Occupation Lady's maid / Domestic Servant.
            Address Wilford House, Wilford, Nottingham.

Head of household Elizabeth Mary Smith - single - living on own means
            also listed are two sisters Alice and Constance Smith - also single.
            Very large household with 14 servants!
            Elaine

Comment

Nottingham!! This family really got about. Thank you so much for transcribing that Elaine xxx

Comment

Update

I don't think she appears on 1901 census and I have just found a likely death in 1895 aged 24 BUT in Christchurch! Do you think it likely? Maybe she was sent away to seaside to recuperate.

The family at Wilford House I have discovered were very well to do - Sheriff of Nottingham, Founders of Nat West Bank, etc. Would they have sent a servant to recover an illness do you think?

Comment

There was a big chest hospital in Bournemouth (The Royal National Chest Hospital was the name of it in the 1900's, but I've forgotten the original name) where people were sent to recuperate (or die!) from TB and other similar complaints. Until 1924 it would have been in Christchurch Reg District.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                    There was a big chest hospital in Bournemouth
                    Well I'm not sure if she was well endowed or not Merry!! :D:D

Will have to risk it and get the certificate I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                    X