PDA

View Full Version : Cause of death, can someone identify this please

Katarzyna
07-12-07, 19:21
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n282/katgr/DT.jpg

delirium tremens , OK, but can someone identify the part in brackets for me please?

Liz from Lancs
07-12-07, 19:38
K If you google e poter, it brings the phrase up in ?Spanish texts Not in Chambers Dict. Liz

Update: check this Italian to English dictionary onlinepoter - Dizionario Inglese-Italiano WordReference.com (http://www.wordreference.com/iten/poter) Liz

Katarzyna
07-12-07, 19:45
Liz I have googled all sorts of combos. I don't think it is a p more like an f? and looks like ic at the end? his R is very distinct in dilerium tremens above.

anyone read latin?

Roger in Sussex
07-12-07, 19:51
potor in Latin means a drinker. Could this be Spanish/Italian for the same?

Uncle John
07-12-07, 19:55
Kat: the p is how I was taught to do a p in "real writing". The last letter is definitely not an r. His r's are quite distinctive, again as I was taught to do them (early 1950's).

Looking at the medical definition of DTs is enough to make you take the pledge.

Nana Anna
07-12-07, 19:58
Googling found e in Latin = From

So adding with Roger he died from Drink! :o

Katarzyna
07-12-07, 21:50
Googling found e in Latin = From

So adding with Roger he died from Drink! :o

When you have been brought up as the daughter of an innkeeper it makes you wonder what they put in your bottle doesn't it?!!;)

So...'from drink' qualifies the cause of death then. Not that the DT's would be from any other cause:confused:

You'd have thought he would have put 'from drink' if he wanted too clarify it . Just being a clever so and so then:)

Thanks everyone.

Kiltmon
07-12-07, 21:55
Being as it is in brackets I would think it was meant to be a reason for the DTs rather than the death itself

Roger in Sussex
07-12-07, 22:30
Maybe he wrote in a foreign language in consideration of the bereaved?

Katarzyna
08-12-07, 00:20
Yes, I suppose consideration could be the more likely explanation, Roger.:) Her parents had both died of liver disease 5 and 2 years previously and her daughter 10 years later of liver disease and heart failure. Comes with living and working in a pub all your life I suppose.

Katarzyna
08-12-07, 00:23
Being as it is in brackets I would think it was meant to be a reason for the DTs rather than the death itself

yes, sorry that's what I meant.

Hi there, long time no speaky. Still on the tube?

Jean and Tonic
08-12-07, 01:08
Try Googling 'Retrospect of Medicine' - 'Delirium e potu' there's quite a piece on how to cope and treat somebody.

Jean

brenmac
08-12-07, 12:09
have you done a spell check,have you got a translater check on your tool bar brenda xxx

brenmac
08-12-07, 12:11
delirium is that not (having fits?) brenda

Jean and Tonic
08-12-07, 15:50
sorry didn't realise it was such a big book....... try this link....... page 73

Jean

The Retrospect of Medicine - Google Book Search (http://books.google.com/books?id=jRMDAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA74&lpg=PA74&dq=retrospect+of+medecine+e+potu&source=web&ots=wS9PzRggl9&sig=EIw6-80-dC_1MeSn0vcRmn26jvU#PPA73,M1)

Katarzyna
08-12-07, 17:49
Thanks for that Jean. I don't know what else to say, just how very very sad.