Missing Generation -Norwich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Generation -Norwich

For a bit of fun I thought I'd put together a little family tree for my cousin's husband as a surprise for Christmas. His family came from Norwich and although have a fairly common surname, Mason, he knew that his father and grandfather had the middle name Cuttris, although he didn't know the origin of this.

I've managed to find 3 generations of Samuel Cuttris Mason born 1886, 1854 and abt 1828. I have them on all the census from 1851.

By a bit of good luck in 1851 Samuel Mason (b.1828) and his brother John were with their grandparents JOHN CUTTRIS and CHRISTINA!

What I can't find are the parents of John and Samuel, that is a daughter of John & Christina Cuttris and somebody Mason.

I've searched the 1941 census and the IGI. I wonder if anyone can help?

On the IGI I have found the marriage of John Cuttris and Christian Clark at St John de Sepulchre Norwich on 10. 12. 1799.

I have found a baptism for a daughter Maria but it says she died as an infant. Can't find anymore children for this couple.

Comment

What about this family - lots more children - transcribed as Matan - parents Samuel and Maria (I think!)
      Class: HO107; Piece 790; Book: 3; Civil Parish: St Michael At Thorn; County: Norfolk; Enumeration District: 13; Folio: 41; Page: 4; Line: 13;
      Elaine

Comment

John and Christina on 1841 (as CUSTIS)
        HO107 Piece 789 Book 4 ED14 F11 P14

Comment

thank you, thank you, thank you Elaine !

I had found that family in 1851 living in Ber Street, the same street as the Cuttriss family but I didn't want to jump to conclusions, not being able to find them with samuel and John. That's great.

Comment

Thanks Jools, I did have the John and Christina on 1841.

But I do have another question. I've found a baptism on the IGI for John Cuttris 20 August 1780 parents William Cuttris and Elizabeth. St Peter Parmentergate Norwich.
            Do you think I can assume this is the same John Cuttris? The age would fit with the census and Cuttris seems to be an unusual name.

Comment

Hi Pat

I don't know if this will help you but I can tell you that St Michael at Thorn, St John Sepulchre and St Peter Parmentergate are all in close proximity to each other (Ber St. is also in the same area)If I can help at all with local info let me know.

Frances

Comment

Working...
              X