Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albert Memorial??

I have just come across this marriage on Lancsbmd:

John Trafford to Emma Evans, 1875, Albert Memorial, Miles Platting.

I have looked on their info page - this "establishment" is not covered, and google brings up hundreds of Albert Memorials in Lancashire, but none in Miles Platting!

What on earth is this place?

OC

I found this:

1864:

25th. April Monday
    The Albert Memorial Church, Queen's Road, Miles Platting, was consecrated April 25. The architect was Mr. J. Lowe. The sittings number 665. The cost was £4,400.(7)

here:

Chronology 1864

so now you have an address!

Comment

OC Im not positive but there was a school on Queens Road Miles Platting called The Albert Memorial School.Attached to it was church The Albert Memorial Church. I wonder if its the one..

Info taken from another forum so hope it ok, I changed the wording and didnt copy paste..

lol Merry too late..

]

Comment

It was C of E

UKSEARCH2003 - LOCAL PLACES OF WORSHIP

Comment

Nice pic here...

Photo of Manchester, Albert Memorial Square 1892

]

Comment

Lots of pics of the church here

Manchester City Council

put 'Albert Memorial Church' in the search box
            PAT

Comment

Manchester City Council - Manchester Local Image Collection - Introduction

This is a better link
              PAT

Comment

Thankyou Merry, why didn't they put that in the flaming register!

I had this vision of my happy couple being the first ever to marry in a non-church venue, under the Albert Memorial in the shopping precinct, lol.

OC

Comment

Sorry, thankyou everyone - my reply to Merry took a long time as the phone rang in the middle of me typing it!

Off to have a look at the links. Wonder if any more of my hiders worshipped there?

OC

Comment

OC, I'm sure you have realised this by now, a lot of the searches bring back Albert Square in central manchester (in front of the Town Hall) not Miles Platting
                    Vicky

Comment

Vicky

Yes, that's why I couldn't find anything on google, because there are HUNDREDS of Albert Memorials in Manchester and Lancashire and none of them in Miles Platting!

OC

Comment

OC have you looked at my link 'Images of Manchester' There are lots of pics of Albert Memorial Church
                        PAT

Comment

Pat

Just about to go in and look now...the phone has been ringing ALL DAY!

OC

Comment

Working...
                          X