Total Sloper confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total Sloper confusion

The death certificate I've just received has got me totally confused. OH's great-great-grandparents Simon Sloper and Christiana Stephenson got married 12th April 1860 at Cleator, Cumberland. On the 1861 census of Scotland, Christiana is at 28 Kirkland Row, Dalry, Ayr - she is down as Christy Slope, boarder, married, 20, born Ireland, and she has with her Simon Slope age 3 months, born Dalry. The birth entry on Scotland's People has him as Simon Sloper, born 31st December 1860 at Riddens, Dalry. I can't find Simon senior on the 1861 census, but I'm not too bothered about that, though please feel free to hunt for him (born about 1840 County Down, Ireland)!! There is a baptism for a Simon Sloper at Cleator, date 4th Jan 1862, which I assume is the Simon born 31st Dec 1860, and they waited until they were back home to get him baptised.

Now, I noticed a death registration for a Samuel Sloper Mar 1862 and a birth registration for the same name, Jun 1862, both Whitehaven, Cumbria, and I thought it must be a newborn baby whose death was registered before his birth was. Not sure which of the Slopers he would belong to, so I ordered his death cert, and he was the son of Simon and Christiana, died 17th January 1862, age 1 year. So I can only think he is Simon junior with the wrong name. There is a baptism for another Simon 1st May 1862, which I now think must be the Samuel whose birth was registered Jun 1862. And a Simon Sloper death also registered Jun 1862 which I presume is that one. And don't even start looking at the children they had after that, including two more Simons!

So they had a Simon whose death was registered as Samuel, and a Samuel who turned into a Simon. This is a new one on me. Has anybody else found Samuel and Simon being used as variants of each other?
    Last edited by KiteRunner; 07-12-07, 11:12.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

They are both biblical names but totally unconnected.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I have come across a couple of Simons whose petname is Sam - could be that on telling the registrar the child was Sam, he wrongly assumed this was short for Samuel?
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I am sure you have thought of this already and dismissed it - twins?

Otherwise, I suppose I can see that Simon and Samuel COULD be confused in speech, between someone with a thick scottish accent and a deaf clerk!

OC

Comment

Could there be any confusion if the PR's for the baps had Simon written as Sim with a superscript n which then looked like it might say Saml? To be honest, more likely if the father's name wasn't Simon as well......

Edit: erm....or vice versa!
          Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 07-12-07, 15:51.

Comment

Well, the first one was registered as a Simon at birth as well as being baptised as Simon, but it seems strange to me that the registrar could have mistaken the name Simon for Samuel when registering his death, because it correctly has his father's name as Simon.

As I said, they had four sons called Simon altogether (the father's father was also a Simon, so I think they were determined to have one named after him) and I haven't come across any other Samuels in the family. May have to remain a mystery!
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
            X