Researching a town not name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Researching a town not name

Just read a thread by Tom saying he is doing Ashby de la Zouch. Well is there anywhere you can look to see if someone is doing a place study instead of a name study. I found one just by word of mouth around my town and the gentleman had quite a bit on one side of my family, but if i wasn't lucky enough for this would there be any other place you can look?
    Jen

not that i know of, there was once a site about villiages but no one ever added to it, what villiage are you think of, maybe we can search for you.

Comment

curious fox might be helpful
      Jess

Comment

Thanks. I was thinking about Lincolnshire in particular i have a lot of family in my mums/grans family that come from Lincolnshire and i live in Lincolnshire. Just more curiosity than anything else.
        Jen

Comment

There is a site called Ancestral Villages where folk put down village names and people add to it with their ancestors. You could Google it and find it.
          Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Society For Lincolnshire History and Archaeology

Comment

Thankyou, will go and have a look.
              Jen

Comment

You often find that books have been written about various towns/villages. Many were written in th Millenium year as Millenium Projects. I have quite a number from Northamptonshire. I found many from Northants by using the Amazon Bookshop site. Once on there I keyed in Books and Northamptonshire and just browsed, finding loads. I then just made a note of ISBN numbers. Some I ordered from other bookshops, others I got offspring to buy me as presents and some I purchased from Amazon.

Janet

Comment

Another useful source can be that much-neglected "right hand column" of the ukbmd site, which often lists all sorts of obscure little sites to do with the relevant county.

I have found several useful "village" projects on there, including a wonderful one for the Isle of Man (not that that is a village of course, but you know what I mean)

OC

Comment

Thankyou. Just off to have a look at ukbmd.
                    Jen

Comment

You have had a shuffle thru these I guess?

Jess

Comment

Hi Jess the wiki was my first call now i have got used to it.
                        Jen

Comment

Hi Jennie,

I use the Ancestral Villages site and think it is worth having a look at. If the place name you are researching is not listed you can add it to the site and enter the names you have. Definitely worth a try.

Frances

Comment

Working...
                          X