Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John CREWE in Oldham Lancashire - any help please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John CREWE in Oldham Lancashire - any help please?

G'day everyone,

I'm looking for any advice anyone can offer me as to where else I can look for information about where my gg grandfather John CREWE (a Shoemaker) was born.

He was married at the Manchester Cathedral, Lancashire on 22 Dec 1828 to Elizabeth Preston who was born in Wakefield, Yorkshire (both of this Parish).

On the 1822 Pigot's Directory of Lancashire, John has NOT been recorded in either Manchester or Oldham.

On the 1841 Census he is living at Oldham with his wife and family and he is recorded as born out of county about 1803.

On the 1851 Census he is still living at Oldham with his family and he is recorded as born in Pembroke, Wrekin (!) about 1803.

He died 15 Mar 1852 in Oldham, age at death was 49 (ie born about 1803).

The only clue I have to his place of birth is the 1851 census and that in itself is a conundrum!

Can anyone please give me any advice as to what other resources exist that I should be checking that might help me determine his place of birth.

Thank you very much.

Welcome Queenslander. I can't really help, but later when those on the "other side" wake up, I'm sure someone will.

Are you in Qld? How's the weather? We are hot and humid with storms hanging around.

Libby.

Comment

Wrekin seems to be a place in Pembrokeshire. Have a google and see what you think??

Comment

G'day Harry's Mum,

I'm in Townsville and the weather is the same as Brizzie.

The Wrekin is actually in Shropshire around Telford way.

Paul

Comment

OK.....you learn something everyday.

I did put Wrekin and Pembroke together in google, so no wonder I got that result.

Comment

I am going to have a look now.. but just an interesting point here ( well to me anyway) the name Crewe, is also a town in Cheshire, which is next to Lancashire, where Oldham is, and also the name preston is a town in lancashire aswell..
            this could get slightly confusing.. My mum was born in Crewe, my father in Oldham and i am researching quite a few people christened at manchester cathedral, oh and i was born in lancashire..lol ( and my ex husband lives in preston but thats besides the point)

Comment

is this him?

IGI Individual Record

Comment

G'day Jennifer,

I have looked at this John Crewe before, but I don't think he is mine. My John Crewe consistently says he was born about 1803 (4 years difference from this one), and both censuses have mine born out of Lancashire (which this one isn't). And the information given about Elizabeth, his wife, in those same censuses was true and accurate.

I can always be persuaded though that my assumptions are incorrect.

Paul

Comment

Were any family naming conventions used in Lancashire at that time (as were used in Scotland) which might help me (prob just clutching at straws)?

John and Elizabeth's children in order of birth were Mary, Ann, Sarah Ann, Thomas, Thomas, Mary, Elizabeth, Joseph, Eliza, Nancy, John and Harriet.

Comment

It seems odd that the chidren John and elizabeth werent higher up in birth order.. usually the first born was named after parents.

Comment

I would have thought that too. Elizabeth's parents were James and Mary which doesn't seem to help much either, although the first child was called Mary.
                      Paul

Comment

well i have just checked all through surrounding parishes of Wrekin in shropshire and no Crewes at all are listed for that time period... it doesnt seem to be a shropshire name at all...

also wakefield Yorkshire gave the same results.

Comment

are you sure you have his death info correct? all i came up with on Abcestry was this:

John Crewe abt 1802 1870 Oct-Nov-Dec Stoke Upon Trent Staffordshire
                          View Record
                          John Crewe abt 1801 1873 Apr-May-Jun Chester Cheshire, Flintshire
                          View Record
                          John Crewe abt 1800 1882 Oct-Nov-Dec Newcastle Under Lyme Staffordshire
                          View Record
                          John Crewe abt 1805 1888 Jan-Feb-Mar London City Greater London, London, Middlesex

Comment

It was registered as John CREW Jennifer
                            Paul

Comment

Hi,

dont know if you have seen this but on hugh wallis..

Whixhall, has some crewe/crue bapts.

now I might be miles off... but my knowledge of Shropshire is pretty naff..

welcome to FTF btw!!

IGI Batch Numbers for Shropshire, England

1757-1812
                              Julie
                              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks Julie but I have been through all of the Crewe/Crew/Crue baptisms/marriages in Whixall, Prees, Whitchurch and adjoining areas and have generated family information for all of them but I just can't connect my John with any degree of certainty to any of those families.

Paul

Comment

Paul,

Have you looked for a Will for John?? If he was still a shoemaker/cordwainer he might have left one??
                                  Julie

Comment

I suspect you have this info:

Buried, 21/3/1852

Name, John CREWE

Abode: Priory St.

age 50

Church: Oldham St. Mary

Source: FamilyHistoryOnline - searchable databases for family history & genealogy in England, Wales & Australia
                                    Julie

Comment

I just checked
                                      * Gores directory of Liverpool and its environs, for 1825 and 1827
                                      * Pigots for 1828-1829 for Nottinghamshire Rutland Shropshire Staffordshire Warwickshire Westmorland Worcestershire Yorkshire Wales
                                      * Pigots for 1828-1829 for Cheshire Cumberland Derbyshire Durham Lancashire Leicestershire Lincolnshire Northumberland

No mention of a John Crewe Shoemaker, but Pembroke isn't covered!!! - Not much help, but at least its 3 less places to look !
                                      Last edited by vikki brace; 05-12-07, 12:31.
                                      Vikki -
                                      Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Thank you very much for that checking Vikki and Julie. I did have his burial details thank you very much and those Pigot's directories help to rule those areas out thank you.

I hadn't thought about looking for a will though, there may be one even though I don't think they had anything of value and as far as I can tell, neither of his sons followed him into the Shoemaking trade.. Do you know where I can look online or otherwise?

Thanks again, Paul

Comment

Working...
                                        X