Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laptop just clicked and went off

Is my lappy on the way out?

It just clicked and went blank. Has done this last week as well. This time would not restart - only gave me a black screen. On/battery/email lights on but nothing else.

Left it a few hours . Come back and it works. Relief.

But what do you think it is? Have had it about 5 years.

Hi jenmargs

The fact that it worked ok after a few hours could point to it overheating, it will just shut down to prevent further damage. It could either want a build up of dust cleaning out from the heatsink or a fan is on the way out, both jobs need someone who knows what they are doing. bren
    Meantime outside the world goes on around you

Comment

Thanks Bren.

Got hold of my computer person last night, and he said almost exactly the same thing. So I will be dropping it off tonight for a spring-clean. I was a bit worried I can tell you!

Comment

Hi,

do you actually use it on your lap??? or do you use on a lap tray or table?

nearly ALL laptops now are called notebooks, as they have been known to burn peoples laps by getting too hot.

it might be just an accumulation of dust that is causing the problem, but in any case, shouldnt be used on the knee. just incase
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Nooo I only use it on the desk.

I prefer them because of the convenience. They were still quite expensive when I got it, and it was then quite a powerful machine (40gb hd and 1gb ram) and I'm used to it. So I'd like it to carry on for a bit longer.

Good advice though. It would slide off MY lap :D

Comment

No probs...

likewise with me..lol mine wouldnt fit on my lap!! and its heavy..ouch.. lol

Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
            X