Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Registry - its technical

My Acrobat reader isn't working.

I have tried to download a later version but it wont download. I got the error message 'couldn't write value to key' followed by the key path.

From the Adobe web site I have picked up a solution to the error number.
    Solution:-
    Set permissions to their defaults in the registry. It gives detailed instructions how to perform this but also a disclaimer saying they dont provide support for editing the registry. Has anyone got any advice - what could go wrong and what would be the implications if something did.

I've looked in the Windows for dummies and it says - Do not use the Registry unless directed to do so. Its not the place to be wandering around. (oh dear)
    I would be grateful for an alternative solution. I have deleted Adobe reader and tried again to install it.
    Kathleen

Oh last time I went in there I ran out wasnt messsing with that lot not even for FTM waited for the comp boys to call ,,,by altering 1 thing you can throw comp out tune unless you know what your doing ;;
    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Thanks Babs - thats more or less what I thought too I daren't even look yet. lol
      Kathleen

Comment

Oh Kathleen its ok to look just dont alter anything unless it looks straight forward babe ;;;
        borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

I know Babs - I disabled the active x controls last night - thinking I was doing the pc a favour and now I cant smile lol

Oh it does show a smile
          Kathleen

Comment

I don't know anything about the registry, sorry, but if the problem is really that the Acrobat Reader won't download then it is easy to get it on a CD - you will often find that a free disk from a magazine includes it, for instance, or any CD which includes its own instruction manual may well have Acrobat Reader included, but if the problem is that you can download it but can't install it then I'm afraid I don't know what to do either.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

DO NOT TOUCH YOUR REGISTRY - if you don't know what you're doing you could mess up your whole computer.

Would it not be simpler to delete the Adobe you've got and then install a new download from Adobe site? I know you have tried to download a newer version but there may be some sort of conflict going on with the two versions and that's why it won't allow it (afterall there must be some reason why the first version won't work).

Comment

Yes Kite - the problem is that it wont install, the download works ok up to the last moment of installation.

Thanks Snowdrops - I think I probably just need a bit of reassurance that I should keep out of there!!

I think my technical support will have expired, I'm sure its about two years old but I can probably still get some help from them.
                Kathleen

Comment

Adobe is bloated. Foxit reader is much quicker

Foxit Software

Bob
                  I am never wrong. I once thought I was wrong but I was wrong.

Comment

I agree, leave well alone!
                    I had a similar problem with Acrobat Reader - the update wouldn't install fully, I kept getting a message along the lines that an earlier version existed etc etc. I can't even uninstall Acrobat and start again; even attempting to re-install from a disc doesn't work.
                    So now I use Foxit and it is absolutely fine, I wouldn't change it now

Comment

Thanks Chipesh and Penna
                      I have bookmarked that site, actually I have never heard of it.
                      I have sent an email to the vaio support but I'm not sure if this pc will be covered by it as it is out of warranty.

It seems to be a problem with the registry keys which may need to be fixed - if they dont give me a solution I will try Foxit.
                      Kathleen

Comment

You can try this

Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

It's microsofts clean up utility.

When installed run it from start etc and chose Adobe (reader) if it's there.
                        Then reinstall the latest Adobe IF YOU MUST !

I honestly think Foxit will make you forget Adobe and it doesn't mess up the registry.

Bob
                        I am never wrong. I once thought I was wrong but I was wrong.

Comment

Thanks Bob - I'm still waiting for a reply from e support, although I will probably switch to Foxit.

I have looked at the link but I dont want to use anything which may cause me to have to re-install software as I use the pc for accounts and payroll and don't want to loose anything.
                          Kathleen

Comment

Working...
                          X