Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is she?

I have searched for this girl until I am blue in the face,

Edith Sunley born 1879 in Darlington to William and Sarah Sunley. She appears at home in 1881 & 1891 in Darlington. She is known to have married Thomas Kirby in Ripon in 1911 but does not appear anywhere in 1901.

I suspect she is in service but where I do not know.

Its driving me up the wall that she is the only one I cannot find out of my great grans siblings.

Can anyone locate her in 1901?

George
    Proud to be connected to Elizabeth (Marjorie) Griffin, one of over 100,000 British Home Children sent from United Kingdom to Canada & Australia to begin a new life.

Sorry George, I've had a look, but I can't find her.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

might she have had a previous marriage ?

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
        She is known to have married Thomas Kirby in Ripon in 1911
        Can't find a Ripon marriage for a Tho* KIR*Y 1910 to 1912 on FreeBMD. Where have you got the marriage info from? Jools

UPDATE:

Cancel that. I have found the marriage - John T KIRBY to Edith SUNLEY Ripon 9a/134, q3/1911
        Last edited by Jools in Scarborough; 19-11-07, 21:48.

Comment

I have checked for a previous marriage and not found any sign of one, I found people on GenesC with her children in their tree (she was my grandads aunt) but none of them have answered my messages.
          Proud to be connected to Elizabeth (Marjorie) Griffin, one of over 100,000 British Home Children sent from United Kingdom to Canada & Australia to begin a new life.

Comment

George, this has absolutely nothing to do with what you are looking for, but wondered if you had seen it (on Ancestry):

Dumfries: Gretna - Marriages at Gretna Hall, 1829-Apr 30 1855
            Marriages
            Marriages at Gretna Hall 1829 -- Ap. 30, 1855
            Abbreviations
            County: Dumfries
            Bell Wm. of Wolsingham, Durh. Sunley Edith of Wolsingham, Durh. 12 May 1845

Walsingham is about 20 miles from Darlington

Comment

I had'nt seen that, my Sunleys originated in Hovingham, some point in the 1870s/80s William and his brothers moved to Darlington with their wives where most of my great grans siblings and cousins were born. Though one brother moved back to Hovingham and another moved onto Kirbymoorside.

Comment

*looks blank*

*gets out atlas*

lolol!

Comment

Hi George...... this is no help to finding Edith but I noticed the youngest child in 1901 is George age 9. Do you know what happened to him? ... because I had a neighbour George Sunley who was in his late 70's or 80's in early the 1960's ... he was a retired butcher.

Just wondered if it was the same 'George' ..... sorry I forgot to say in Darlington

Jean
                  Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Comment

Strewth George - do you know how common the surname SUNLEY is round Hovingham & Helmsley??!! There are dozens of them, all related to each other. I have a William born 1853 in my tree (as a twig on my grandad's side) but I've never gone forward from him on the 1861.

I suspect your William was born 1851 (baptism in Hovingham 10 aug 1851) and married Sarah Jane SICKLING
                    Last edited by Jools in Scarborough; 19-11-07, 23:22.

Comment

The 9yr old George died in Etreux in WW1 in 1914, I have his CWGC record but his WW1 Records have not survived I am told.

I know my grandfather had a cousin called George Sunley b 1919.

There were loads of Sunleys in Hovingham, William was one of 7. There were 4sons and three daughters.

Comment

I tried tonight searching for just Edith and birth place Darlington, with no birth year or surname but could not see any possibles.

Think I will have to send for her marriage cert to see if that yields any clues or hope that those descendants finally answer me on Genes.

Thanks

George

Comment

Marriage Cert came today - Jul 29th 1911 Ripon Cathedral

John Thomas Kirby, 45, Widower, Gardener, 42 Newly Street, Ripon, father-Christopher Kirby, Blacksmith

Edith Sunley, 33, Spinster, Littlethorpe nr Ripon, father William Sunley, Fruiterer,

Witnesses: George Washington Spence & Hetty Kirby.

The bit about Tom Kirby being married twice was news to me.

Comment

George

I keep falling over Edith Sunley in 1901, who is a soldier's wife and doesn't know where she was born...no one else in the household....maybe??

OC

Comment

Just looked that one up, its a strong possible. Just wish these ancestors would stay in the same place on every census and give accurate info.

Comment

I also found a John Thomas Kirby with his family in 71,and 81 (a gardener), missing 1891, and as John Kirby market gardener in 1901, married to Annie - no children, and his age is slightly out.

As he was a market gardener and her father was a fruiterer greengrocer, I expect they met across a box of cabbages, lol.

OC

Comment

I now know from a relative that Edith worked at Newby Hall nr Ripon as a cook and Tom Kirby was a gardener there which was how they met. I found Newby Hall in 1901 and she is'nt listed in the household.

I found Tom in Ripon with his first wife and their four children. Their surname was mistranscribed as Rusby.

George

Comment

Working...
                                  X