Can someone please help me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone please help me.

Im trying to find some info on my great great great gand parents.I woujld like to find out where his grave is and if he had any step kids or got re married and his dads name and where his grave is and also.This is the info i have so far

Marion P Smith
    1900 - living in Lanette, Chambers, Alabama
    Born abt 1847 i think its 1846 in Alabam
    Name of spouse Lissie M
    Race - White

Other members of household
    Marion P Smith 53
    Lissie M Smith 49
    Ada R Smith 23
    Jessie C Smith 21
    William L Smith 17
    Walter Fletcher Smith 8
    Clemmie P Smith 7

On one one thing i seen was lisse m had 8 kids 6 of them alive.
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 19-11-07, 16:28. Reason: copyright

First of all welcome to FTF!
    You may not be aware of our guidelines but we do not allow a direct copy and paste from sites such as Ancestry as it contravenes copyright.
    I have edited your post, hopefully without removing any important information.
    Elaine

Comment

guess no one wants to help me

Comment

Hi Chris
        Welcome from me as well. Don't be disheartened, I expect there are lots of people who do want to help you but are not sure where to start. I'm sorry but I for one don't have a clue about American research. I think you might just need to wait a while until someone experienced in American research is on the boards and they may be able to give you some pointers.
        Good Luck, Helen
        Helen in Glos

Comment

Chris, do you know when Lissie died?
          (By the way, I'm sure you already know this, but Smiths take a lot of work!!!)
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hello Chris and welcome.
            Helen beat me to it as I was about to say something similar. I only have a sub to Ancestry uk so can't help you with American research I'm afraid.
            Last edited by Just Gillian; 22-11-07, 17:02.
            Gillian
            User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Chris, if you have a sub or credits on ancestry.com then you should be able to look at the family's entry for 1910 - look for Marion P K Smith born about 1847, still living in Chambers. There is also Lizzie age 50 and Clemmie (mistranscribed as Elemmie) age 17. Sorry, I haven't got a sub so I can't look at the image myself!
              KiteRunner

Comment

Hi Chris looks like you might find something on Ancestry.com > Alabama Cemeteries - Cemetery Records - Genealogy

Comment

And there he is on the 1920 as well, still in Chambers, born abt 1845. This particular Marion Smith seems to appear at the top or very near the top of each search - must be because he lived in Alabama. Hovering the cursor on a name for the 1920 doesn't seem to give a list of who else is in the household, so you would have to use a sub or credit to view the image to find that out. I can't see him in 1930, so maybe he had died by then?
                  KiteRunner

Comment

There is a Marion P Smith death in Chambers in 1930 on the "Alabama Deaths, 1908-1959" database on ancestry, again you need a sub or credits to view the full entry.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Hopefully if you look at the images for some of those censuses it will give you info such as where was Marion born, and where his parents were born. I can't find the family on the 1880 census at the moment except for a possible Marian and Catharine with loads of children including an Ada age 3 - but they have an older Jessie, so probably not the same family. If the full 1900 census entry tells you where Ada and Jessie were born, it should help with looking for them on the 1880. Unfortunately the 1890 isn't available.
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Comfused what credits is and also i think he did have a girl name ada witch was the oldest from what i seen on another site. and also I heard from my uncle that he thinks he got devoiced before dont know if thats after lisse or before that im not sure.Did anyone find anything on where his gtave might be

Comment

I do know for fact he had son name walter flecher smith and clemmie but thats the only two that my dad knows about and we didnt even know marion full name all we knew was pope smith but it found his name online with his kids on acestery.com but i only had the trial and dint get to look much. So the one that died in 1930 is the one but who all he was married to or his parents name or where is grave is we have no idea :(

Comment

Chris, what I mean by "credits" is, Ancestry were offering pay-as-you-go credits to view a limited number of records for people who didn't want to take out a full subscription, but I can't find the info right now... I'll see if I can post it up later...
                            Well, I've found a UK page about it, but I'm not sure if you will be able to buy the pay-per-view credits if you live in the USA, or if you would have to take out a full subscription.
                            Pay-Per-View - Ancestry.co.uk
                            Last edited by KiteRunner; 20-11-07, 22:59.
                            KiteRunner

Comment

I just got signed up for membership there
                              but i cant find much because i dont know hoqw to use the site to well

Comment

HI

If no one else can help out I'll be back on later today, not sure when for definate, but I will see what I acn do as I have a full USA sub.

Can you confirm it's the Marion P K Smith bn circa 1847 in Alabama that you want further info on?
                                WendyP

Comment

Wendy, just in case Chris doesn't log back on before you, looking back at my post #7 on here, that Marion P K Smith has a wife Lizzie and child Clemmie, so it definitely is the same family that Chris is looking for. She needs the rest of the information from the censuses to find out where Marion and Lizzie (and the children) were born to be able to trace them back.
                                  KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissmith1980 View Post
                                    I just got signed up for membership there
                                    but i cant find much because i dont know hoqw to use the site to well

Chris, if you start with the home page
                                    Ancestry.com -- Browser Upgrade then click on the "Search" tab.

Make sure you have the "Historical Records" tab selected.
                                    For "First & Middle Name(s)" type Marion, and for "Last Name" type Smith.
                                    Click on the "Search" button.
                                    You should get a list of databases where matches for the name have been found, starting with Census Records. Fourth one down is the 1900 census, so click on that and your Marion will be the sixth one on that list - Marion P Smith, Chambers Alabama, born abt 1847. Over on the right is a "View Image" button to click on, and then it should load the image of the actual census page with all the info such as Marion's birthplace etc. If you can save the image and copy out all the information given for the family then it should help you a lot in trying to trace them.

Then go back to the list of database matches and choose the 1910 census - your Marion is the fourth one on the list, Marion P K Smith. And do the same.
                                    Then 1920 - he is the top one on that list, Marion P Smith born abt 1845.

Hopefully when you have all the info about the family from those 3 censuses, we will be able to trace them back to the 1880 census and see whether Marion was married to Lizzie then too, or if he had a different wife before her, and then start on finding out who his parents were.

Going back to the list of database matches on ancestry, the second main set is called Birth, Marriage & Death Records. If you click on "View all 11,734 results" then it comes back with a long list of databases in that section. In the bottom right-hand corner it will say something like "Viewing 1-10 of 201 Next" so keep clicking on "Next" until you get to "Viewing 51-60 of 201" and you should see "Alabama Deaths, 1908-59" on the list. Click on that and it looks as if your Marion is the tenth one on the list, Marion P Smith 1930 Chambers. If you click on "View Record" on the left of his name then it should tell you name of the deceased, county of death, date of death, and the state certificate number (volume and page). There is also an "Order record" button on the right, which will take you to a page where you can order a copy of his death certificate. When you have all the info of when and where he died, I would think the best way to find out where he is buried (assuming he wasn't cremated?) would be to contact the cemeteries near where he died and ask if he is buried there. This link should take you to a list of cemeteries in Chambers County (unfortunately it doesn't have contact details for them)

http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb...cemeteries.txt
                                    Last edited by KiteRunner; 21-11-07, 11:35.
                                    KiteRunner

Comment

HI

Ok, this is the closest I can get to him

1860 Chambers Alabama

Moses Smith 53 Farmer bn Georgia
                                      Martha Smith 46 bn South Carolina
                                      James M Smith 18 bn Alabama
                                      Marion P Smith 14 bn Alabama
                                      Isaac Smith 12 bn Alabma
                                      ?octor T Smith 10 bn Alabama
                                      George W Smith 6 bn Alabama
                                      Sarah E Smith 3 bn Alabama

He then seems to disappear off the scale going on these details that we have for him.

I have however found a marriage in 22nd August 1889 to an Elizabeth Ragsdale in Chambers, Alabama

This is backed up by the 1920 USA Census showing

Jessie Ragsdale 41 bn Alabama and in his household is Marion P Smith 75 shown as Step father.

These also a Martha D Dean, widow, aged 68 shown as an Aunt to head of household not sure which side of family she is from yet but I will have a look for you.
                                      Last edited by WendyP; 21-11-07, 14:41. Reason: more text to add
                                      WendyP

Comment

HI

And just to double show the connection here is the 1880 in Blommingdale, Chambers

William Ra*sdale 31 Occ Farmer
                                        Lizzie Ra*sdale 29
                                        Ada Ra*sdale 2
                                        Jesse Ra*sdale 1
                                        WendyP

Comment

Working...
                                        X