As much info as possible please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As much info as possible please

I have this picture in my collection and after a lot of squiffy eyes this weekend, I am still at a loss.
    Can anyone give me as much info about the picture as possible please
    (you know what you can see from the picture)

Edit - The man standing at the back is James Haines (100%) he died in 1904 aged 84

Last edited by vikki brace; 13-11-07, 10:08.
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Vikki I cant tell you anything but its a great photo!!

Comment

Thanks Marilyn, It would be even better if I knew for sure who they were
      Vikki -

Comment

Vikki - probably 2 little girls and a boy, although the one on Mum's knee could be a boy, as they put them in dresses.

I would think that the man is the grandfather (unless he is a very old dad!!)

Mum seems to be wearing a lot of adornment on her chest - is that really normal jewellery or has it some deeper signficance?

I'm not very good at dating photos, so I'm not going to hazard a guess. The children are in short dresses and not long dresses - does that signify slightly later??

Otherwise I'm not much help to you this afternoon!
        :o
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

What a lovely photo - the children are adorable.

Well I'm no good at photos, everything I say is usually wrong, but the children + mother have an arabic/turkish look about them?

Is that a fob watch I see under the gentleman's jacket? and the baby is holding a set of keys.

On the whole they look as if money isn't too much of a problem, but I also think the gentleman is the father (beards can be so ageing - the eyes have a younger look about them).

Apart from that, it was taken in London (good bit of detective work that!!).

Comment

I think the photo is from the late 1890s the lady appears to have leg of mutton sleeves, and her hairstyle would fit that period, I'm pretty certain the child on her knee is a boy but still in skirts, the dress simply looks more like a little boys, I also think they are father and daughter, this just because of the eyes.

Comment

i would guess that it is a 3 generation photo grandfather, motehr and her children.

i dont think he is the kids father as he has a receding hair line nd his hair is whittish/grey. he has a chain of some sort just showing through his jacket which could be a fob watch chain.

the little child at the back i would say is a boy - has a "sailor style" tunic top compaired to the child sitting which is round neck. also the child doesnt appear to have a lacy/frilly bit around the bottom of the outfit like the other child.

the child sitting next to "mother" i would guess is a girl purley for the reason that there is lace around the bootom of the outfit and the neckline is round compaired to the 1 at the top.

i would also say the 1 on "mothers" lap is female as the dress is quite frilly/lacy (and my expirience of boys in dresses is they were plainer than girls). also the child on "mothers" lap and the 1 next to her are both wearing white shoes.

i would say pre 1920 as the lady has long sleeves, high neckline and what appeas to be a long length full gown.

have you tried googling the photogrphers name and address? it may give you an idea of the tme they worked. hope the above makes sense.
              **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

is that some sort of sash the middle child is wearing?

Comment

Originally posted by Just Barbara View Post
                  I'm pretty certain the child on her knee is a boy but still in skirts, the dress simply looks more like a little boys.
                  Also this child is wearing a sash .... I think that tends to be a 'boy' thing.

It has a kind of tartan look which may just be the fashion at that time

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

the photographer W Edward Wright is listed at these addresses

2, Linden Villas, Field Rd, Forest Gate
                    65, Woodgrange Rd , Forest Gate
                    223, Hoe St, Walthamstow
                    1, Sebert Rd, Forest Gate
                    254, High Rd, Leyton
                    Pembroke Rd, Seven Kings

Unfortunately there are no dates given, so it's a question of census looking with the hope of finding him at 65, Woodgrange Rd.

That would help with the date.

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Hi Rachel, Thanks, you found that out a few weeks ago for me, when I was looking for help with some other family pictures - I still haven't found out the dates of when he was at which premises
                      Vikki -

Comment

Hi Vikki ... as I was typing it did seem familiar ... Sebert Rd rang a bell.

I'm having a look at censuses but I only have Ancestry so can not do an address search

That pot with the palm in looks as if it would have been very attractive

Comment

Hi Rachel

I picked this from your previous posting

I've found the photographer William Wright (aged 38) in Sebert Rd, West Ham/Forest Gate on the 1891 census ... looks like he had nos 1 and 3 (same address as on your pic 2).

In 1901 William E Wright (photographer) and the family are at 65 Woodgrange Rd ... so that kind of/sort of/maybe gives an idea of the dates of 2 of your photographs

Vikki -

Comment

Thanks Vikki ... I wasn't having any luck finding him this time

Just so he doesn't escape ... this is the link for him 1901

- Ancestry.co.uk

So that's ... 65 Woodgrange Rd, Forest Gate, West Ham, Essex
                            and the 3 children are Photographic Assistants

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 12-11-07, 19:01.

Comment

this is from Tom..

It is late 1890s / early 1900s,
                              leg of mutton sleeves were in fashion from 1897 to 1899 but died out pretty quickly but that does not mean this lady was behind the times....

at first I thought it was someting that was taken in India - as the mother and two of the children in particular have an indian "look"

Julie
                              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Funny, my immediate thoughts were Dutch Jewish, but Indian would also fit, or possibly Maltese - the lace is handmade and probably homemade and has a foreign look about it. It is too elaborate and there is too much of it - someone very proud of their needlework skills and wanting to show them off.

Dutch East Indies connection?

I would put the date before the 1900s.

Second wife, maybe? It is a classic family pose, one I associate with a married couple and their children.

Lovely photo.

OC

Comment

Thanks everyone, you have all confused me even more :D

I was hoping that it was taken around 1880, as then I would have a good idea of who they were - So that idea is out of the window.

So circa 1900, Ah Right - Doesn't help

I hadn't thought of any international connections - Because I hadn't found any, Oh the confusion

So we are saying Boy, Girl, Boy or Boy Boy Girl?

Helppppppp - How hard would it of been for them to right on the back who was in the picture;)
                                  Vikki -

Comment

Vikki,

Bit of a clean and polish.. i'd say that the child that is sitting on the back of the chair, is definate male. The other two, the child seated with the sash is female as is the little one holding the keys, I tried to zoom in on the baby (that looks like she has a tartan sash/bow around her middle) to see If that mark is actually on her forehead or if it was dirty mark, but it looks to me like it is on her forehead..not much help I know. If don.t is about try pm'ing him and asking him, he might be able to give you a better date?

went abit lighter to see if anymore detail can be sought.
                                    Last edited by Darksecretz; 13-11-07, 12:41.
                                    Julie
                                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Jules

Thanks for sharpening that up, it look so clear.

I'll see if Don't pops up, if not i'll do as you suggest and pm him

Thanks again, I'm now 100% sure who the man is. He died in 1904 age 85
                                      Last edited by vikki brace; 13-11-07, 09:53.
                                      Vikki -

Comment

The ladies hairstyle is 1897 I've been looking, and I have to say that I still think the little one on mums knee is a little boy, the outfit is very plain, much like a little boy before he has been breeched.

Comment

Working...
                                        X