Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legacy?

Hello All

Ive just started to record my tree on Legacy, Is it worth doing? the only other record (other than my scribbles on bits of paper) is on GR, Will I be able to load the tree on to the GEDCOM on here using Legacy?

Sorry about all the questions but don't want to waste my time doing it if I won't be able to use it!

Hi Kelly A very good one is Legacy and you can load a Gedacom from it to where ever you want. Alan.

Comment

I've been using Legacy for years, Kelly, and found it to be a good programme that does everything I need...including making gedcoms that can be uploaded anywhere...even here

Beverley

Comment

Hi Kelly~~~
        Yes you can load your Gedcom from Legacy to here.
        I would use it as your main tree and as you add to it then just import your new Gedcom to GR, as well. Much easy to do corrections than GRs's one.

Always be sure to back it up and keep a backup on disc or some removable storage, just in case you computer crashes.

Once you have got it up and running, you will wonder why you never did it before.

Blessings.

Comment

Snap, Bev!!

Comment

Thanks Alan And Beverly,

I shall continue with my recording and wishing that I had started it from the begining so that it didn't take soooo long!

Comment

Sorry Lyn I must have been typing when you posted I didn't meen to miss you out Thank you too,
              Will be asking for more help when it comes to GEDCOM!

Comment

Isn't it possible to export the gr tree to legacy?

Comment

Kelly,

I dont know if you have seen this, but It is what Macbev has helped create for the members

it might help

Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

To answer the question - yes it is.

Link for Kelly (save you a lot of work !)with the instructions 'how to' -

Genes Reunited

Comment

Thank you very much Julie and Jenmargs, I have just exported my tree from GR it will save alot of time! Will sit and read that link this eve Julie Think I'm starting to understand a bit more!

Comment

Oh Im sorry another question, Whne I try to open the export that GR has sent me the computer just says that windows can't open this file What do I need to do?

Comment

Kelly, you need to save your gedcom download from GR to somewhere in your computer,eg desktop, open Legacy , go to 'File', then 'Import From', then 'Gedcom file', browse and find the gedcom file from wherever you saved it, 'open', and follow the prompts.

You can't actually open a gedcom on your computer itself.
                          Last edited by Macbev; 12-11-07, 14:27.

Beverley

Comment

Yeah!!!!! Thanks Beverly Ive done IT!!!!!!

Comment

Congratulations, Kelly. It's great when you have a success. Break out the champagne.

Beverley

Comment

Yeah Got my GEDCOM on here! So excited! Have to celebrate with a cup of tea im afraid Beverly! Thanks again

Comment

Congratulations Kelly.

I use Legacy. I cannot get my head around Family Tree Maker however hard I try. I have it on my computer along with Paf, but it doesn't get much use.

Once you get the hang of Legacy, you'll be flying.

PS I still ask MacBev for help every so often.

Libby.

Comment

Working...
                                  X