Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions of any sort on this photo, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions of any sort on this photo, please!

I have recently made contact with a new fourth cousin.

He has sent me this image which he says is on glass. It is of the husband of one of our mutual relatives and his great-grandfather. At least we think that's who it is!!

So......age? Date? Comments about appearance and potential social standing..... Any other things noted..........?? Please keep your comments coming!!

(I'm keeping quiet! lol)

Last edited by Pippa Doll; 12-11-08, 21:46.

brings Oscar Wilde to mind for me

Very dashing

although he could have straightened out his waistcoat when he sat down
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Looks like Charles Grodin

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

I think he looks ill at ease, although this could be the postion he's sitting in rather than anything else.

I think the clothes are his, ie: not borrowed from the photographer for the photo, as the tie pin is an accessory I don't think a photographer would bother to supply.

He looks actually like a surly teenager who's sitting there because he's been told to and his hair looks like it's been given a comb through with water cause it was sticking up.

No dates 'cos I'm useless with them - sorry.

Comment

So, age?? Late teens or older???

Comment

about 20 paintings on glass are worth something, 1880,s brenda xxx

Comment

I'd say 20s as he doesn't look stifled or uncomfortable in what he's wearing.

You can tell the younger ones have been dressed up in something they don't wear often and they look really ill at ease
              Zoe in London

Comment

Ok, so are we agreed on age, say 22-26 ish?

I notice the image is in reverse.

Comment

you get that quite often with glass plates as people tend to put them surface down to make a print and it should be surface up
                  Zoe in London

Comment

Is this the sort that comes in a little box with a velvet lined lid? (I have one from c1879 about 2x3 inches)

Comment

it looks like a very crisp image, has it been touched up or modified ??

Comment

I think this may be a glass plate negative which would explain the good image, your chap is wearing a sack coat, with just the top buttoned which was fashionable about 1879, I think he may be late 1870s or early 1880s.

Comment

If it was late 1870's then he would be 30. I thought the clothing looked earlier, but I'm no expert!

All my ambrotype photos are in reverse. If this is an ambrotype, it looks like it's been taken out of it's box....with that ring round it..........If it's an ambrotype mightn't it be earlier? (she said, hopefully!)

Unfortunately I'm not in contact with the owner of the photo, only with the owner of the copy!!

Comment

I would say 1880 ish does it come from a locket or small oval photo, just wondering about that oval shape?

Comment

I don't know how big the original is :o

If it's as late as that, then I think the sitter must be someone other than the person it's supposed to be!

Comment

As others have said he looks a bit like Oscar Wilde, think Oscar Wilde was born mid 1850s and died 1900, I have a photo of his grave in Paris, a great big hulking deco flying angel! if i remember right

Comment

Then again i think the way Oscar Wilde dressed kind of retro, like Lord Byronish?

Jacob Epstien - think he carved the tomb?

Comment

Had a go a taking the black ring away

Last edited by niftynannie; 09-11-07, 23:27.

Comment

I have a carte de visite, which dates to 1860s, and the man (my 2 x GGF) is wearing a very similar cut away coat, rather short, and a cravat. Unfortunately he is wearing a hat so I can't judge his hairstyle.

The hairstyle (in your pic) is rather Oscar Wildish - do we know if Oscar Wilde followed hair fashions, or did he just have an old-fashioned hairstyle, lol.

OC

Comment

The way his hair sticks out at the sides above his ears could indicate that he's been wearing a hat ... not that this helps in any way, merely an observation.

(still think it's Charles Grodin)

Wonder if the pattern on the table cloth might be a way of dating it ?

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 09-11-07, 23:39.
                                        ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                        X