Problems with telephone after installing new modem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with telephone after installing new modem

We bought a new computer last month and because it was installed with Vista, we had to obtain a new modem from our ISP as our old one wouldn't work.

The computer and telephone is across the room from the telephone socket. We have an extension coming from the socket and a splitter just behind the computer with one lead going into the computer and one to the telephone.

We've only just realised that although we can get a line out, our telephone doesn't ring with an incoming call. I've tried ringing in on my mobile and all is does is ring and ring (without the phone itself ringing) then go onto 1571.

Has anyone else had this problem, what have we done wrong?

I'm going to try BT, but reluctant to get them out knowing what they charge :o

Thanks for your help

It sounds like what would happen if you had dial up service rather than broadband, contact your supplier.

Comment

I can use the internet at the same time as using the phone. When I ring up my home no with my mobile it rings on the mobile, but not on the home phone

Mmmm.... I think I'll have a live chat with AOL a little later on....

Comment

If you are on Broadband, Dave says first thing to do is check the filters are correctly installed.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks Wendy (and Dave)

These splitters are the filters (I think) as that's what came with the new modem, although we could always try the old ones aswell to see what happens.

I'll wait until hubby gets home from work and he can re-check all the connections again.

Comment

Could it be that your new modem has a higher REN (Ringer Equivalence Number) than the old one? If the total REN of everything you have plugged into the phone sockets adds up to more than 4 then you could have a problem. If you google "Ringer Equivalence Number" then you will find lots of info about it, or try this link:
            .: SystemTek - What is REN ( Ringer Equivalence Number ) ? :.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thank you Kate. I've had no joy with either AOL or BT today :(, so any help is much appreciated

Comment

Velma, I have an extension for my phone line to the computer and have to have the "splitter" thingy plugged into the phone socket on the wall. From that runs the extension to the computer and another to the phone. If I put it the other way, my phone doesn't work either.

Comment

have you tried turning up the volume control on the actual phone??

Jackie
                  Be nice to your kids...they have to choose your nursing home!

Comment

Thanks Lyn & Jackie

Thats interesting Lyn, I'll think I'll try that.

There's no volume control on either phone (upstairs and downstairs) and they both don't work, I even bought a new one yesterday and it doesn't ring either

Comment

Velma

The filters should be plugged into the actual wall telephone socket not the extension lead. Check that first.

Then if still no good, try unplugging all of your phones except one. Does that now ring?
                      If it does, then it is the REN number problem. Should say on each piece of equipment what the REN number is.

The reason we left AOL after 7 years is they are no help at all when you have a problem. They always blame someone elses equipment.
                      We went to BT, so BT phone line, modem and internet.

Comment

Thanks Margaret. We unplugged everything earlier, then plugged in one phone and we're still got the same problem - so it's something to do with the line :( I'm really cross as we didn't have a problem before we had this new modem, even though we had broadband. I'm going to try BT again tomorrow and see what they say. Could have our line been changed somehow to increase our broadband speed, with the downside of it effecting are phones?

Comment

Velma

Do you still have your old modem and PC?

If so, try connecting those instead.

If that works, then it's your new modem.

Just realised something, everytime I try to ring my sister she doesn't answer. Then she rings me and asks if I had rung.
                          She is on AOL, makes you wonder if its them.

Comment

We can't do that unfortunately as the old XP computer crashed and was uneconomic to repair, that's why we had to buy a new computer. This was pre loaded with Vista, which was incompatitable with our old modem and we had to get this new modem/router from AOL. Vista has caused us so many problems - I wouldn't recommend anyone upgrading if they have no need to.

That's interesting that your sister has the same problem - does she have a 'Speedtouch' modem supplied by AOL?

Comment

Velma

I don't know what system she has. Just know she is on AOL.

I will try to find out tomorrow, if she answers the phone (if she hears it ring lol):D:D

Comment

Velma

My daughter had a new laptop that was on Vista and she was on AOL with a belkin modem.

She got so fed up with AOL not supporting Belkin and then blaming BT. Belkin couldn't help as AOl were unhelpful with the info they needed, that she changed to BT Homehub same as us.

Switchover easy and no problems since.

Have you considered changing ISP?

Comment

We had to agree to an 18 month contract with AOL to get the modem. After being offline for over two weeks because of the computer breakdown, we were desperate to get back online. Also, we had not long paid for another year up front, which they partially refunded because of the new contract (which paid for the new computer) and I'm not sure if they would have done this if we had gone elsewhere.

When we originally rang AOL to request help because the old modem wouldn't work they said that we needed this BT Speedtouch modem and said that we could buy it from PC World, Maplins etc. After ringing around to find out no-one stocked it locally, we rang them again and they said we could have one if we agreed to an 18 month contract. They also said that they only provide technical support for this modem, so we were in a corner and had no choice.

Another thing which really annoyed me is that without asking AOL signed us up for their Talk service and I only found out when BT sent us a letter saying that they were sorry that they were losing our custom! I promptly got them to cancel this as it actually worked out more expensive to us!

From what you say it does sound like an AOL problem doesn't it? I wonder if they've done something funny to our line. My husband tried speaking to them through live help and on the phone, but had problems getting them to understand the problem, being that AOL have an Indian call centre.

We're going to have to try again though. The last thing I need right now is a BT engineer round here. I don't know their call out charges, but I expect they're likely to be expensive :(
                                  Last edited by Velma Dinkley; 01-11-07, 23:00.

Comment

Velma

BT will only check out your phone line.

We had them to ours just before our switch from AOL. They won't even look into the broadband connection. BT line fine. Checked from exchange and from engineer outside the house. I believe they only charge if they have to enter your property. Then it depends on the problem.

Comment

You mention another phone upstairs. Have you got a filter plugged into its socket as well? My Speedtouch modem (provided by Tesc.net) came with 2 filters and instructions to use one in for ALL equipment plugged into the phone line. When I was moving the modem from one room to another and forgot to use the filter for the extension phone it wouldn't work properly.
                                      Last edited by JudithM; 02-11-07, 07:40.
                                      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Yes, you do need filters in all of your phone sockets that have a phone there as well.

Comment

Working...
                                        X