Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

please how can i send a gedcom from ancestry to legagy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please how can i send a gedcom from ancestry to legagy?

i can print the tree better from legacy but i need to update people from ancestry andi dont fancy doing it individually brenda xxx

Hi Brenda...you've moved over here...a hard lady to catch If you open Ancestry, the 'help' link is in the top right hand corner. Click on this. In the new screen, type 'gedcom' in the keyword search. No. 2 in the summary that will appear relates to uploading or downloading gedcoms. Follow the instructions there.

If you have problems uploading to Legacy, I can help from that point.

Beverley

Comment

thankyou beverly,i tried when i went ancestry i went to upload a gedcome and it printed it out on my screen and nowhere to send it ,im of to try again,here goes brenda xxx

Comment

im wanting to export my ancestry to legacy i cant seem to see how to do this lol brenda xxx

Comment

You need to export the gedcom first from Ancestry and save it to your computer, either on desk top or my documents, or where ever you usually save stuff, Brenda.

If you have already got to this point, open up Legacy, in Family view, go to 'File' and go down to 'import from'...choose gedcom file.

A window will open asking you where to look for the gedcom and you choose the place where you saved it, eg 'desk top'

Double click on the gedcom there and a screen will ask you whether you want to create a NEW family file or add it to the existing family file. Choose 'Create New family file', and click on 'proceed'
          The next window will ask you to enter a name for the new file....choose something like Smith2 and click on 'Open'

At this point there will be several options to alter things, but if you are happy with the choices given, click 'start the import.'

The next screen asks about auto sourcing. I generally ignore this and click on 'don't assign a source' , which starts the import.

The gedcom should then load into your new family file.

Hope I've explained this clearly enough...ask away if you have more problems.
          xx
          Last edited by Macbev; 24-10-07, 15:14.

Beverley

Comment

no i cant do it as i said it says exsport then when i click on it it downloads as an essay brenda xxx

Comment

I can't talk you through the download from Ancestry, Brenda, cos I haven't got a tree on there, so I don't know what the problem is that you are running into at that end. I thought the 'help' section would guide you through, but I can't test it out personally.

Do you know of any FTF members that have put their tree on Ancestry? We might need to ask someone who has downloaded their gedcom

Beverley

Comment

I don't know if it helps Brenda, but I've just tried it using Beverly's & Ancestry's guide. It's worked for me, I have FTM.

Hope you get it sorted soon.
                Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Macbev View Post
                  ... enter a name for the new file....choose something like Smith2 ...
                  I hate to be pedantic, but I believe the correct genealogical practice would be to name it Bloggs2 ... lol :D

Tim
                  "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Have to pass on that one Tim....i'm not a proper genealogist :D

Beverley

Comment

Sue, can you tell me precisely how you did the export gedcom from Ancestry...I have a feeling Brenda may be misinterpreting some step and I can't walk through the process myself, for reasons mentioned above.

Beverley

Comment

bev would it help if i gave you my ancestry password then you can pretend to be me sort of thing lol brenda xxx

Comment

Not sure, Bren....I guess I could try. Not tonight, tho....it's about bedtime here.

Otherwise, would it be possible to email me the stuff that you downloaded? If I can see what you got, I might be able to work out what happened. Sue says she made the gedcom download using their 'help' link.

Beverley

Comment

ok i will send it and will look tomorow after work,11 thankyoux brenda xxx

Comment

OK.....I'll see what I can do..if someone doesn't come up with a better suggestion in the interim. Keep you eye on your thread in case someone else finds the solution.

Beverley

Comment

Brenda - I've just had a go.
                                On Ancestry, I clicked on manage tree and then on export tree.
                                When it had prepared the file for download,(this takes a few minutes and you have to wait for the message to say it has finished) I clicked on download in gedcom file format, then chose save to disk.
                                It saved on my desktop. I then imported it to Legacy and it opened in the normal way.
                                Gillian
                                User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Sorry, been eating and just come back to this thread.

Ok um .. this is what i did..

1.Went to 'my Ancestry'
                                  2.Where it says 'my family trees' found mine
                                  3.Under the name of my tree there's two links - View tree or manage tree,
                                  click manage tree
                                  4.this page gives a sort of breakdown of your tree - date last modified, is it public etc etc
                                  5. Next to 'management tools there's a download/export gedcom link, clicked on this
                                  6. got a large green highlighted message at the top of page.. can't quite remember exact words but something like it's preparing gedcom
                                  7. it told me it was finished and ready for me to download - then clicked on this message
                                  8. it automaticly opened in FTM - as it does usually when opening a new gedcom - asking for a name etc..

Hope I I've not missed anything out..
                                  I hope that helps, it did take me a while to locate the download/export button but think I wasn't looking properly :o
                                  Sue

Comment

i did that but it printed all my tree where do i click to save to my desk top?i bet you think im thick,i did it to ftf easy,brenda xxxx

Comment

Brenda - if you would like to pm me your Ancestry password, I'll download it for you, check it is ok and then e-mail it to you.

Mine was automatically saved to my desktop when I clicked save to disk.
                                      Gillian
                                      User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Brenda, did you get the screen pop up that asks if you want to open or save?
                                        I just clicked open and automaticly open in my FTM, but if you click save I think it asks where you want to save it.

ps.. no no you not thick..lol
                                        Sue

Comment

Working...
                                        X