• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uniform

Hi everyone
    Can anyone help me identify the uniform in this photo
    Thank you
    Tasdev
    Last edited by Pippa Doll; 12-11-08, 21:46.

Have you booked your holidays yet ?
    Why not come to Norfolk we have some great churches for you to photograph

Shake my family tree and watch the nuts fall.

Looking for Druce-Berkshire. Auvache , James, Hughes - London. Turp - Essex. Dipple, - Herefordshire.

Regional Co ordinator Eastern Region

Hi Tasdev, I am pretty sure he is a Hussar, if it's possible to get the picture any bigger someone might be able to get a better I.D..........

Comment

Not too sure on the Hussar bit Barbara but I could be wrong (I mean, I am just a mere male after all :D ). He is wearing a plain tunic with no frogging and the buttons are spaced out in twos. On his sleeve at the cuff area is an Indian knot and just above that it looks like he is wearing a possible good conduct stripe awarded for two and a half years good conduct. He also has collar dogs showing and a close up of those at a higher resolution may give the regiment.

don.

Comment

Don I will give way to your superior knowledge any time...;), maybe he's NOT a Hussar....:D

Comment

Hi
          Thanks for the information so far.
          I have managed to enlarge the photo a bit and hope this helps.
          Jacky

Looking for Druce-Berkshire. Auvache , James, Hughes - London. Turp - Essex. Dipple, - Herefordshire.

Comment

Tasdev, do you have dates for your soldier or anything that might help?

Comment

Hi Barbara
              He was born c 1879

Comment

Do you know where?, am guessing Boer war with those dates.......

Comment

He was born in London

Comment

Was hoping for him to have been born somewhere smaller then it would have been much easier to ID his regiment..:o But I would definitely go with Boer war, if you know where in London it's sometimes possible to work out who recruited where, also as Don said, the insignia on his collar would identify his regiment, any chance of blowing that bit of the picture up?

Comment

This is the best that I can do
                      :o

Comment

have you tried this little tool
                        Virtual Magnifying Glass 3.3

Comment

looks to me like a flaming bomb/grenade. Two regiments that wore that (other than fusiliers) were the Aritillery and the Engineers. Maybe someone else will have a better view of it than I can and can say what it is.

don.

Comment

Working...
                          X