Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are these the same man?

Born 1819 died 1904 - I know for sure the last one is James Haines
    Last edited by Pippa Doll; 12-11-08, 21:46.
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Looking at the different fashion it would fit for the same man getting older, and the resemblence is so close...................YES!!

Comment

Thats what I was hoping for, Can I ask do you think he looks younger in the 1st or second picture?

I think he looks younger in the second.
      Vikki -

Comment

And a yes from me .... unless he has a very similar brother ....
        Amazing eyes in the first pic.

Looks younger in pic 2 .... (no beard)

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Enlarging pic 2 ... it looks as if his facial hair is kind of 'fluffier' !

not yet so bristley

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post
            And a yes from me .... unless he has a very similar brother ....
            Amazing eyes in the first pic.

I know what you mean about the eyes, Apparently they were piercing blue.

If I could find out what happened to his brothers, I might be able to say if they looked alike, His son did look alot like him (what do you think)

Vikki -

Comment

I agree the 2nd pic defenately looks younger, I think that he looks like he is in his early 20s

Comment

yes i think they are but taken at different times noses and the mouth are the same brenda xxx

Comment

I did just wonder if pic 2 might be the son of pic 1

We need Barbara or someone clever to study their collars

Does anyone think pic 1 looks like Admiral Nelson ?

erm ... is his beard falling off ?

Comment

rachel i also had a gut feeling they were father and son or taken at difrent time periods of the one brenda xxx

Comment

Wow - that picture of his son made me all goose pimpley - my cousin's husband has the same eyes!

Comment

Don't know if it helps but the top picture is actually on glass, hence the funny shape

the second is a small CDV

This is also his son, David - he was born in 1878 (one of 17 children)

Vikki -

Comment

I've found the photographer listed but grrrrr ... it hasn't got his dates at the various addresses .. will keep looking ... the addresses are in this order :-

W. Edward Wright

2 Linden Villas, Field Rd, Forest Gate.

65 Woodgrange Rd, Forest Gate.

223 Hoe St, Walthamstow.

1 Sebert Rd, Forest Gate.

254 High Rd, Leyton.

Pembroke Rd, Seven Kings.

Comment

Now we have a mystery

I had a look on a photogrpah dating web site and they have a picture of a young woman c.1891 and it is the same style as that of james Haines (picture 2)

But the clothing style of James in picture 2, does not match that of 1891 fashions!!!!
                            Also it doesn't quite look like a photgraph of the time (if you know what I mean)

Any ideas?

just been looking through mens fashions from the 1830's-1900's
                            Pictures 1 and 2 look to date from 1830-early 1840
                            Picture 4 was taken in 1903 (its dated)
                            Last edited by vikki brace; 23-10-07, 17:22.
                            Vikki -

Comment

I think picture 2 is the oldest, picture one is difficult to date but I think its of the same man about 10 years older........have to go now....

Comment

I've found the photographer William Wright (aged 38) in Sebert Rd, West Ham/Forest Gate on the 1891 census ... looks like he had nos 1 and 3 (same address as on your pic 2).

He's at a different address in 1881 ... will look for him in 1901

Comment

In 1901 William E Wright (photographer) and the family are at 65 Woodgrange Rd ... so that kind of/sort of/maybe gives an idea of the dates of 2 of your photographs

Comment

The first photo, looks to be part of an early glass plate negative, you can see where the silver is rubbing away, it will also have had a frame of some kind. I think they do not date before 1851 but am ready to be corrected.

Comment

Working...
                                    X