Which regiment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which regiment?

Does anyone know if this is the uniform of the Royal Horse Artillery about the time of the first world war. My grandad, James was born in 1897, and is probably about 17 or 18 in this photo.

Family members state that Grandad was in that regiment, but are they right? Also can you tell from the photo which unit/brigade/division he was in?

Jozy

Very similar to my fathers and he was in the Royal Horse Artillary in 1929.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hi, if you want to doubly confirm his uniform, you could put it up on the Great War Forum, lots of experts experts there..........

Comment

Hi Jozy,

The cap badge is that of the Royal Artillery, he is also wearing spurs, bandolier and also a white lanyard. Going by the age that you have for his birth I would say that he was about 20 when this photograph was taken as he is also wearing a service chevron on his lower left arm.

don.

Just one other thing.............he must have been riding those horse's hard.......have you seen the size of that pillow that he is resting on :D

Comment

Don I never noticed his cushion! he must have been sore, poor soul........

Comment

Hi,
            Thanks for your replies.

It seems that something i was told must be right then. So little appears to be true ;). (I must have some fantastic story tellers within the family.)

Don, you say he's wearing a service cheveron, would this have been awarded for just being in a battle/war zone, for an act of courage or would it be earned by 'progressing', (like stripes- for rank) .

:o Complete novice to all forms of forces life, both now and then.

Jozy

Comment

The service chevron that he is wearing is for good conduct. The single chevron shown here indicates that he had served with good conduct for two and a half years (which is why I placed him as being about twenty when this photograph was taken) or as some old soldiers would say "two and a half years of having never been caught".

Whilst good conduct chevrons are worn on the lower arm with the point facing upwards, rank chevron's are worn on the upper arm with the point of the chevron pointing downwards towards the elbow.

don.

Comment

Don,

Thanks for your reply. Had forgotten about this thread until I came to update/file some info on Grandad. Apologies for not acknowledging earlier to you

Jozy

Comment

no worries Jozy, only too glad that it was of help.

don.

Comment

Working...
                  X