Anyone know Portsmouth area well?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know Portsmouth area well?

This is a photo of my great grandmother (centre) with two of her neices. She lived in Eastbourne Sussex.

Her daughter, however, lived in Portsmouth and many of the photos I have look like they were taken in that area, on her occasional visits there.

I was just wondering if this one was too. It would have been c1930.

Thank you for your help.

Here's another one. I think this is probably Southsea beach, as it isn't Eastbourne (well I don't think it is ) ;)

Comment

I've only recently got these photos from my mum and this is the first time I've actually seen them side by side and examined them close enough to realise that they're actually wearing the same clothes! Although as people didn't have that many clothes in those days it may be a red heron ;)

Still, it would be good for confirmation that these were indeed taken in the Portsmouth/Southsea area.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Hard to tell - not much background information to go on!

The beach one could well be Portsmouth as pre-war there were lots of these small wooden steps for people to get up and down! Couldn't say for certain though.
        Chris

Comment

Thanks for your help Chris

Comment

Location of the first photo could be the Castle Gardens. Not sure about the second one, the beach in the photo looks sandy, and the majority of the sea front in Portsmouth is shingle.

Graham

Comment

Thanks Graham

Comment

The Hants RO site has photos on display. Might be worth a look to see if there are any clues?

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Allie Island has just posted this excellent link on Research:
                  ViewFinder, image resource for England's history

It's English Heritage, and they have quite a lot of Portsmouth/Southsea photos and postcards.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you Christine, I'll have a look at those

Comment

This may not be much help, but the second photo looks to me very much like the western end of Weymouth beach and promenade
                      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Weymouth? Now that really throws a spanner in the works ;)

Comment

Thanks for that Bob, much appreciated

Comment

Working...
                          X