Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Come and Challenge us on the Generation Game

What it is
    The challenge is always to connect someone on the 1841 census to someone on the 1901 census.

How it works
    We work in teams to find the link, and we will then expand to all the blood relatives of the people mentioned in the challenges that we can find. All census references and BMD refs that we can find will also be added

Please note - we will not spend any money on your tree, all the information we find will be freely available online.

The winning team is the one with the most names, and refs included. Each challenge lasts a week

What we get out of it:
    The fun of looking at someone else’s tree, especially when are own are proving frustrating

What you get out of it:
    Hopefully a few new leads.

What we need from you
    The link needs to have already been proven by you. Your tree should not be in the public domain, which would make life far too easy for us. We’re looking for a challenge, not a copying exercise after all

We need whoever sets the challenge to be around on a Friday night to “mark” the trees. Access will be given to the trees that have been worked on, either on GR or Ancestry, and you will be sent GEDCOM’s of what we’ve found so that you can investigate at leisure.

How do we decide who sets the challenge
    The winning team will decide whether one of their member’s sets the next challenge, or if we are taking a challenge from you. If we take a challenge from you it will be on “first come, first served” basis

So what are you waiting for? Come and set us a challenge

We welcome new players, but be warned - it is seriously addictive
    Last edited by Barbara Dodds; 05-10-07, 21:44.
    Barbara

ooooooooooooooooh - I've never had time to do teh taking part but I have a couple of corkers to challenge you with
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Thanks Zoe

Hope you don't mind the thread being up on both boards.
      Barbara

Comment

I was so excited I didn't even think of Modding responsibilities LOL

As it's a recruitment type drive for the FTFS weekly quiz I'd say it's okay

I may get over ruled though - in which case this isn't me speaking
        Zoe in London

Comment

You nearly confused me, just came on for a quick read, moved across from general to research and thought I'd gone back to general LOL
          Mavis
          Dust is a noun, never a verb;)

Comment

Sorry Mavis - we were just trying to get the message over to as many bods as possible. You're on the list.

OK Zoe - its understood that that is your personal opinion
            Barbara

Comment

Nudge for the day shift

Any more takers?
              Barbara

Comment

Please, please, please let us do your tree!

On one of the lines I submitted for the challenge I got over 200 new leads to follow....which I'm still wading my way through. Even if we get it totally wrong, you will have the pleasure of telling us! :D
                Jeanette
                Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

I agree with J please come and add your name to the list i have had many new people found and i have still got loads of bits of my tree which people have found for me that still need to researched and even a brickwall cracked.
                  Jen

Comment

I'd love to help but I can't be around on a Friday evening. :(
                    Lynn

Comment

when you say it mustnt be on a public domain what do you mean? I have mine on GR and triblapages so does that not count?

Comment

Sorry Gloryer - only just seen your post

By not in the public domain we mean not somewhere that we can access and read. So on GR is fine, as its usually quite difficult to actually work out someones tree from on there.

Tribal pages would be fine as well I think, as long as its a "private" tree (someone help me out here)

What we don't want is for it to be, say, a public tree on Ancestry where all we have to do is go and have a quick look - and then start copying
                        Barbara

Comment

nudge for the gamers
                          Zoe in London

Comment

Thanks Zoe

must remember to add Pippa to the list as well as Tom
                            Barbara

Comment

Hi
                              Please, Can I join in ? I love a good chase.

Can I challenge or chase, or both ?

Only one problem, I get badly confused by the time difference - its nearly 9pm Monday night - its Monday morning in England right ? If Friday night there is Saturday morning here (and I have to go to cricket, with my son) is that a problem ?

Diane Cole
                              Sydney Australia
                              Diane
                              Sydney Australia
                              Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Di - you're welcome to come and join us as a player as well as a challenger

The time difference shouldn't be a problem as we already have one player who is based in Australia and one who is based in America.

Pop in to the generations game thread on general to see the current challenge on

Last edited by Barbara Dodds; 29-10-07, 09:59.
                                Barbara

Comment

Thanks Barbara
                                  I will have a look at the current game...

Diane
                                  Diane
                                  Sydney Australia
                                  Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Dicole you are welcome to oin us as well, we would love an Australian researcher. We do our tree on ancestry so if Barbara has not snagged you already p.m. me your ancestry name or e.mail if you don't have an ancestry subscription and I can send you an invite to the tree. We then ust add any bits we find including stories or photos.
                                    Anne

Comment

nudge - so we don't lose the list in the housekeeping
                                      Barbara

Comment

nudged, to keep this on the boards

We'll be starting again after Christmas so if anyone else wants to add their names please feel free
                                        Barbara

Comment

Working...
                                        X