Boys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boys

I think I may have posted this before - if so I apologise!

But what do I make of this photo? I think it was taken in the 1920's - possibly a children's home

All the boys seem very dressed up - it almost seems posed

Thanks for any thoughts
    Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 02-10-07, 04:25.
    Joan died in July 2020.

PS - Sorry the pic is so small - whenever I ask photobucket to enlarge something, it gets smaller! No idea what I'm doing wrong!
    Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

it sure is small Joan I cant even see it LOL

Comment

Hi Joan,

I think the problem is you need to crop out the white background surrounding the photo, as photobucket is including that in the total size of the photo.

A couple of the "How to" guides should help:

- for cropping an image already on your computer: http://www.genealogistsxgr.co.uk/ref...ned-image.html
        - for cropping an image during the scanning process: http://www.genealogistsxgr.co.uk/ref...hotos-etc.html

Once you have the photo cropped and saved to your computer you can then re-upload it to photobucket and post it here.

Hope that works for you. If not, PM me and I'll resize it for you.
        Sarah

Comment

Thanks Sarah - I'll have a go!
          Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Better, but not quite right!!!
            Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

It's odd that there is no adult in the picture, for anything official I would have expected someone. And if it's a childrens home back then, would they perhaps have had a uniform?

Comment

Our school photos were like that boys and girls had seperate parts of the schools then sometimes the teacher would be in the photo sometimes not xxxHowie
                Howie passed away August 2018.

Comment

Looks similar to the photo`s that where taken, when i was sent to the holiday home in Skegness each year because i was an underweight child.

Sylvia
                  Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
                  Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
                  Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

i dont know if it was around then but the 1st thing that came to my mind is the Boys Brigade. i now they have a uniform nowdays.
                    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for your ideas everyone.

And thanks to someone else on these boards, who has cropped the photo for me!!

I initially thought it was a school photo, but it doen't look as thought the boys are all the same age - and I think it was taken in a town, so wouldn't have been a village school with mixed age classes.

The boys all look as though they have been dressed up specially for the photo - one at the back seems to be wearing a Sailor's costume.

And they all look as though they have just had their hair combed and knees scrubbed!
                      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Hi Joan
                        The boy at the back with the sailors top on looks out of place for a childrens home.Could it be Sunday school? it would account for the different ages.
                        Nichola

Comment

Thanks, Nichola - I hadn't thought of that!

I don't suppose anyone happens to know whether Sunday Schools would have been single sex ?

There still seems to be a sort of "staged" feeling about the photo
                          Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 11-10-07, 08:41.
                          Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Working...
                          X