Firewall Recommendation Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firewall Recommendation Please

I installed a ZoneAlarm update today and my computer went haywire.

I have now uninstalled it and would prefer to use an alternative. Can anyone recommend a good free firewall please?

I'm off now to back up all my tree stuff and photos, just in case, but I will be back.
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

If you have WIndows XP then it has its own built in firewall that works perfectly fine. You might need to check if its turned on or not.

If you don't have XP I'm not sure about the free ones.

Comment

Thanks Becky. I do have XP but I didn't know it had a built in firewall. I'll go and investigate how to turn it on.
      Gillian

Comment

By default the firewall is turned on (its a tab on your network connection/dial up properties) so unless you've turned it off its probably been sitting there doing its job all along!

Comment

lol Becky - yes, it was on! Thanks for your help.

I wonder why I decided to use ZoneAlarm?
          Gillian

Comment

I use zonealarm too wonder why I dont use the windows one ???? is it as good I wonder

Comment

Val - have you downloaded a ZoneAlarm update recently?
              I'm wondering if it was not a genuine one I downloaded today and that's what caused all the PC problems as I've been using ZoneAlarm for years without any previous trouble.
              Gillian

Comment

I had an update for ZoneAlarm a few days ago and haven't had any problems.

I always do it as a clean install not just an update as it always asks which you want it to do.

It's a bit of a nuisance until you have all your regular programmes allowed again.

Christine
                Christine in Portugal

Comment

That's probably where I went wrong then Christine - I just did it as an update. It's good to know that it was a genuine update though.
                  When the PC restarted, after the update, I had a plain blue screen with parts of odd windows showing and no mouse pointer. I eventually got that back but it wouldn't let me do a system restore until I had uninstalled ZoneAlarm.
                  I shall make sure I always do clean installs of programmes in future!
                  Gillian

Comment

Christine what is a clean install and do I need Zonealarm if I have windows firewall ??? thanks

Comment

Hi Val,

I was told the Windows firewall wasn't much good although better than nothing.

Whenever there is an update for ZoneAlarm it usually comes up do you jusy want to update or do a clean install.

The clean install porobaly takes everything thats already there out and then starts again.

It then means you keep getting alerts for a few days telling you certain programmes are trying to access the internet and you have either to allow or deny.

Hope you can follow this I'm not very good at explaining things.

Christine
                      Christine in Portugal

Comment

I understand that pefectly thanks very much shall do it that way next time thanks for your help

Comment

You're welcome Val, I'm not very computer literate myself but it's surprising what you can learn by reading all these posts in computer help in different forums isn't it?

Christine
                          Christine in Portugal

Comment

yes it sure is I learn a lot that way thanks again

Comment

The Windows Firewall will work fine for most people, I think where it isn't as good is in the interface for allowing/dis-allowing programs to access the internet. Saying that I haven't used anything else since it was released and haven't had any problems. If you do want to use a different firswall I'd recommend turning the Windows one off as it can cause conflicts.

Comment

how do I know if my windows one is on ??? thanks

Comment

Hi Val,

Go into the control panel, then security centre. It will then show all your security settings. Click on Windows firewall and it will then show if it is on or off.

Christine
                                  Christine in Portugal

Comment

thanks Christine

Comment

thanks it is off

Comment

You're welcome Val, at least you know it isn't conflicting with Zonealarm.
                                        Christine in Portugal

Comment

Working...
                                        X