Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Configuring Outlook to use with your Gmail email accounts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Configuring Outlook to use with your Gmail email accounts.

Below are instructions for using Outlook Express to 'send' and ‘receive’ emails.

1. Open an account with Gmail.
    2. Click on the word 'settings'
    3. Click 'forwarding and pop'
    4. Tick the box 'enable pop'

At this point you can click on the configuration instructions link, but make sure you have saved changes in this screen before moving on.

To ensure that Gmail can communicate with your mail client, be sure to click 'Save Changes' on the Gmail 'Mail Settings' page.

Below are the links to the help pages (and below that are copied instructions for Outlook Express).

http://gmail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13276#manual
    for outlook express users.

for all other mail clients use this link: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?ctx=%67mail&hl=en&answer=12103

To configure your client manually:

1. Open Outlook or Outlook Express.
    2. Click the 'Tools' menu, and select 'Accounts...'

3. Click 'Add,' and then click 'Mail...'
    4. Enter your name in the 'Display name:' field, and click 'Next.'

5. Enter your full Gmail email address username@gmail.com in the 'Email address:' field, and click 'Next.'
    6. Enter pop.gmail.com in the 'Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP or HTTP) server:' field. Enter smtp.gmail.com in the 'Outgoing mail (SMTP) server:' field.

7. Click 'Next.'
    8. Enter your Gmail username (including @gmail.com in the 'Account name:' field. Enter your Gmail password in the 'Password:' field, and click 'Next.'

9. Click 'Finish.'
    10. Highlight pop.gmail.com under 'Account,' and click 'Properties.'

11. Click the 'Advanced' tab.
    12. Check the box next to 'This server requires a secure connection (SSL)' under 'Outgoing Mail (SMTP).'

13. Enter 465 in the 'Outgoing mail (SMTP):' field.
    14. Check the box next to 'This server requires a secure connection (SSL)' under 'Incoming mail (POP3).' The port will change to 995

The order of 'Outgoing' and 'Incoming' mail server fields varies by version. Make sure you enter the correct information in each field.

15. Click the 'Servers' tab, and check the box next to 'My server requires authentication.'
    16. Click 'OK.'

That should be it now, all done!

* Did you click 'Save Changes' after enabling POP in Gmail?

To ensure that Gmail can communicate with your mail client, be sure to click 'Save Changes' on the Gmail 'Mail Settings' page

Note:
    If you have multiple email addresses, just repeat the instructions above to add each email address for use with Outlook.

I think that for UK Gmail users the @gmail.com may be @googlemail.co.uk. You will be told when you initially set your Gmail account up.

Note:
    Additional notes ref the “Red” highlighted text in the above instructions.

username@gmail.com- This is the email address that you have setup.
    pop.gmail.com - This is the Gmail Incoming (POP3) mail server name.
    smtp.gmail.com - This is the Gmail Outgoing (SMTP) mail server name.
    username (including '@gmail.com') and password. – This is for automatic connection to your Gmail account so that you can send and receive emails.
    465 - The Gmail Outgoing mail server port number.
    995 - The Gmail Incoming mail server port number.

If you are using other email providers then the details in this note will change in respect to the other providers specifications.

You can send and receive emails from different email providers via Outlook, at the same time, by just repeating the above instructions and using the specification details related to each email provider(s) you are using.

If anyone spots any mistakes in the instructions or thinks that they can be improved, please let me know. Thank you.

Nudge: Just keeping the thread alive in case anyone else finds it useful. :D

Comment

John, Happy New Year 2009 almost Easter! Yes your links are most excellent. I plan to move to TalkTalk about mid February and as I see it (probably wrong) not a lot should change with viewing my emails via Windows Mail or Gmail.
      That said I will have to change the detail from Virgin to TT and understand that they have different Port Numbers looking back over your notes.
      Will TT either send me these numbers or will they be automatic?

I know what I am talking about but may not have explained it well here.
      Margaret N
      DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

John, One further question How does one Do the Screen Shots that you put onto this site? I have tried Print Screen and it does not appear to work for me.
        Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Hi Margaret,

A very Happy New Year to you too!

I have found this link for Talk Talk email address settings:

http://www.talktalkmembers.com/content/view/67/68/

Hope it helps. :D

Originally posted by Margaret N View Post
          John, Happy New Year 2009 almost Easter! Yes your links are most excellent. I plan to move to TalkTalk about mid February and as I see it (probably wrong) not a lot should change with viewing my emails via Windows Mail or Gmail.
          That said I will have to change the detail from Virgin to TT and understand that they have different Port Numbers looking back over your notes.
          Will TT either send me these numbers or will they be automatic?

I know what I am talking about but may not have explained it well here.

Comment

Hi again Margaret,

I usually just press the <Print Screen> button.

Then start 'MS Paint', which you should have on your computer.

When MS Paint is open I do a Paste (<CTRL + V>) and the print screen image will appear in MS Paint.

You can then crop the image/add text to it, as you like, and name/save the image to where ever you want and upload it to the website, the same way as you would with photos.

Does the above help? :D

Originally posted by Margaret N View Post
            John, One further question How does one Do the Screen Shots that you put onto this site? I have tried Print Screen and it does not appear to work for me.

Comment

John,

Thank you for the TT information a useful page. I am feeling nervous about the move after reading the members forum. However I must save a few pence and this is a start. I am more than pleased with Virgin other than the cost.

Uploading the image to this site is the problem as I do not use Photobucket. When I click on Insert Image on this site it asks me for an URL and http: Now this is where I get lost as it means very little to me. What am I doing wrong please?
              Margaret N

Comment

Hi Margaret,

I always use an independent email provider like gmail/googlemail (not one linked to an ISP), that way if I move ISPs I don't have to worry about changing email addresses.

I've sent you a PM.

Comment

Will it be the same for Tiscali I have tried Outlook but dont seem to have muck luck with it thanks for any info.

Granabella

Comment

Sorry should have been much not muck.

Granabella

Comment

Hi Granabella,

Tiscali will be slightly different.

I have found this link for Tiscali email address settings if it is of help:

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/help/email/oe_settings_start.html

Comment

Thank you John,I have to say I love this site all these handy tips and information thank you again to every one

Granabella.

Comment

You're most welcome Granabella. We all try to help when we can. :D:D

Comment

Nudge

Comment

Working...
                            X