family tree programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• family tree programs

I have been thinking of moving my trees from Ancestry but only have FTM.
    What are the sensible alternatives to this? I really want to be sure that the photos and certs stay personal so I need a program to run them.
    Any suggestions?

Margaret

Margaret why what is wrong with you FTM ???
    sorry just lot of us on here use that so wondering what you dont like about it ;;;
    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Margaret, do you mean you want to take your tree off public sites?

From what I understand from those who use it, FTM will run all your photos, data etc. I don't have my tree anywhere except in my Legacy software....with backups on CD and printouts in case of computer failure.

I have my gedcom loaded here, but that is different matter.

Beverley

Comment

FTM or Legacy do the job, you can download a basic legacy for free from the net ( I've just finally paid for the deluxe version and getting to grips with the extra bits.)

Tribal pages is a great online place to put your tree and you can keep it private too but if you wanted to download it you would need to pay the basic fee.

I use tribal pages to direct family or people that are interested from contacts on GR or Ancestry, rather than give access there. As a pay a yearly sub I also use it as an internet back up of my legacy tree I have on my computer.

Comment

I have been using PAF for years. A free download from the LDS.
          Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

By using a geneology programme you can control what information you reveal to others. You keep all the details on your pc via the programme (and of course you must make regular backup copies to disc/stick or exrternal hard drive to protect yourself against data loss.

If you already have FTM then you can do pretty much everything you want, (store photographs, census and cert images etc, notes and research findings plus any other details you want for each name). Print trees, create books and reports.

You can also use a programme to share your info with others via GEDCOM files, these are text only files (no images are transferred to a GEDCOM). GEDCOM files can have as many/few names as you wish and as many/few of your notes and comments as you want (you simply select who and what you want to include).

You say you have trees (plural). FTM also allows you to have several trees at one go, each would have a file to itself.
            Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 16-09-07, 18:06.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
            My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
            My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Originally posted by Macbev View Post
              Margaret, do you mean you want to take your tree off public sites?

From what I understand from those who use it, FTM will run all your photos, data etc. I don't have my tree anywhere except in my Legacy software....with backups on CD and printouts in case of computer failure.

I have my gedcom loaded here, but that is different matter.
              Yes that is what I mean. After the recent furore with ancestry hijacking other peoples info I want to move it out. I like FTM, my concern was that it is still Ancestry linked

Comment

So far as I can tell, Legacy does everything that FTM does,and it is free, unless you want the Deluxe versions.

However, more people use FTM on this site and there will be plenty of users to offer advice/ support.

I would be surprised if any one could hijack data out of a private software package, simply because it is associated with a body like Ancestry...but I am willing to be corrected by those more knowledgeable.

Beverley

Comment

Originally posted by Macbev View Post
                  So far as I can tell, Legacy does everything that FTM does,and it is free,
                  Except that it does not produce any family trees which are worth speaking off :0)))
                  Best Wishes
                  Ron
                  www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

For a good range of diagrams and for handling photos, take a look at Family Historian. Add on the free Gedcom Census and you have a simple way to enter census data too.
                    Derek :p

Comment

Originally posted by Genealogy Printers View Post
                      Except that it does not produce any family trees which are worth speaking off :0)))
                      Dunno...I was modestly pleased with my own trees...:o

Now if you are talking about charts, I'd have to agree with you, which is why I bought the companion Tree Draw package

The reports were as good or better than the ones I had been accustomed with my retired Generations software.

Beverley

Comment

Originally posted by dopping View Post
                        I like FTM, my concern was that it is still Ancestry linked
                        FTM and Ancestry are linked but primarily for websearching and submitting a tree to the One World Tree (OWT) collection.

If you don't want to contribute your info to OWT then you don't have to. Websearching is only used to find and store bmd and census info onto FTM and not to send info from FTM to the internet.

If you (like me) do not have an ancestry sub then the websearch won't work, however you could still contribute to the OWT if you wanted to.

When you use FTM the only place the info is stored is on your pc, (back up copies should always be made to disc/stick/external drives) and you can also store a backup file via the internet backup option (available on FTM 2006 versions). Internet storage does not mean your info is publuc, it it just another facility available to protect yourself against data loss if the worst were to happen.
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

thanks Glen, I think I have been sorted out. Will backup on pc and use ancestry for searching.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                          X