Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gedmill

Anyone use Gedmill to create websites?

It is free and seems to do a pretty decent job.

Can you give us an example to look at?
    Elaine

Comment

GEDmill - Free GEDCOM to HTML Family Tree Website creator

This is the website for it. There are some sample sites on there.

I have Gedmill Pro and played with it when I was exploring different ways of getting my site online. You can edit the pages with HTML but it means doing it everytime you update your tree so in the end didn't stay with it as I wanted to to make a less basic site.
      Last edited by Caroline; 27-07-07, 11:50.
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Here are two examples

This one was completed using gedmill pro which you have to pay for
        Family history of Paul Kelly

and this one is created using the freebie one. Does not have the fancy tree diagram on the top of the pages.
        Early Waterville Maine Families

Just want to add that if you have pictures they come up on the pages as well and source images are also included on a seperate page. You can look at sources and see how many people are linked to a particular source as well.

Comment

Thanks - I´ll have a look.
          Elaine

Comment

I found them slow and errors in loading, they are very basic, but it depends on your own personal needs, when mine is made public i would like a much more dynamic site, but that is personal choice.

Comment

I have just put my tree on line using phpGedView. It is a bit technical to set up, but the resulting site is fantastic. Fully interactive tree, with a registration feature so that only registered users (under your control) get to see private data, and you can also allow others to edit the information (handy to let relatives across the world enter their details).

www.PeterWieland.co.uk(click on Genealogy in the top menu)
              Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
              Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
              Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
              Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
              Devine in Ireland

Comment

I use a mixture of TNG for the tree part and Joomla for the rest of my site and am very pleased with both. I knew HTML but had to learn an enormous amount about CSS and php, and am still learning, but would recommend TNG which isn't hugely expensive and the basic Joomla is free - it all depends on how much you want to do yourself really!!
                Caroline
                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I am a newbie to this forum. I am in the process evaluating the different software packages for uploading my tree to a website. My family tree has been created in Family Historian. I have read this thread that goes back to July 2007 and am interested if there are any new software packages I should consider. I have looked at your family history pages Caroline and the combination of Joomla and TNG creates a very impressive website.

Comment

Originally posted by peterben99 View Post
                    I am a newbie to this forum. I am in the process evaluating the different software packages for uploading my tree to a website. My family tree has been created in Family Historian. I have read this thread that goes back to July 2007 and am interested if there are any new software packages I should consider. I have looked at your family history pages Caroline and the combination of Joomla and TNG creates a very impressive website.
                    Thank you. I use the ijoomla Magazine component to produce the family articles, which is the same software we use for this site's magazine and it is quite straightforward to link to the descendancy trees etc. in the TNG area. .
                    Last edited by Caroline; 30-09-10, 16:35.
                    Caroline

Comment

Working...
                    X