OpenOffice.org

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenOffice.org

If anyone's interested I can recommend OpenOffice.org as a reasonable (free) alternative to Microsoft's suite of Office programs.

OpenOffice.org's suite of programs contains the following (click each one for info):Visit OpenOffice.org: Home for further information.

I've never used it but I have seen excellent reports in the computer magazines. They say it is fully compatible with the Microsoft suite too.
    Derek :p

Comment

Hi Derek

I use both, Microsoft Office and OpenOffice.org. I'm not too sure about fully compatible but I definitely think OpenOffice.org is an excellent suite of programs, especially considering that it's free.

Comment

Yet another happy Open Office user has arrived !! :D
        Sun 2.jpg
        FTF-John Nihon.JPG
        Last edited by Guest; 27-05-08, 01:29.

Comment

Yes, ME!! and may I just say I cannot believe how similar to Microsoft Office this product is - if I didn't know better I'd have thought I was opening Word/Excel themselves.

Thanks for the tip John - it's a good one.

If anyone out there is thinking of BUYING office software DON'T - go and have a look at Open Office, I have to admit I was a bit unsure about downloading from an unknown source but I thought I might trust John a little bit (LOL) and took the plunge. I cannot praise the product enough - you'd be daft to spend all that money when this is an excellent product and FREE.

THANK YOU JOHN

Comment

Hi Snowdrops, you're welcome :o

Only the best for you ! :D

Open Office is definitely very similar to the equivalent MS Office products. If you can use one product you shouldn't really have any problem using the other. :D

I've just noticed that there has been a recent upgrade to version 2.3 as well. Just installed it!

Open Office is sponsored by Sun Micro Systems which is a very well known company in the IT business and has been for many, many years. :D
            Last edited by Guest; 22-09-07, 16:39.

Comment

This link to Open Office Extensions may also be of interest to those who like Open Office.

http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/highestratedreal

These (also free) extensions have been written by numerous developers and are all open source. No harm in looking, see what you think!
              Last edited by Guest; 22-09-07, 16:41.

Comment

Thanks for the link John, I'm going to download and see what it's like.

Comment

I have open office. It's always a bit slow opening, and it won't put numbers on the pages.

Anyway. I wrote a letter and wanted my sister to look it over before I posted it. I emailed it to her, and she said she couldn't read it, letters all jumbled up. She has a mac. emailed it to her friend who is windows, he couldn't read it either.

Now I want to put my details/cv to an employment agency and they suggest I email them. But will the information be readable?

Have I got the right programme?

Comment

jenmargs, I'm not an expert, but I use Open Office. The secret for allowing documents you create to be opened by people using MS Word, etc, is to use the right file name extension. You can save things as .odt for your own use, but save as .doc for other people. I find that if you choose Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP it should be fine for most people.

So remember, use "Save As" instead of "Save" and you can choose how to save it .

Hope this helps
                    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Hi jenmargs

Open Office products do appear to be a little slower in opening than MS Office products.

When I insert page numbers, first I Insert - Footer - (All), then I Insert - Fields - (Page Number) in the footer.

If both writer and reader have Open Office - Writer and the document has been saved in the correct file type then there shouldn't be any problems.

If the reader is using MS Word then make sure that you save the Open Office document as a .doc, .txt or .rtf file type.

Whether the reader is using a MAC or Windows shouldn't really be an issue.

Basically as scuda says.

Hope this helps!
                      Last edited by Guest; 24-09-07, 16:35.

Comment

Right John thanks for that. I will use that system. Without looking - I think they automatically go to 'odt' save. So that may be it.

Jen

Comment

Hi Jen

In Open Office - Writer the default file type as you say is .odt. This should be okay if the person reading the document is also using Open Office - Writer.

I've just thought of something else. In Open Office - Writer you can go to File and (Export as PDF) for your document, which should mean that anyone with Adobe Reader software on their computer should be able to read your document. It's worth a try as well!
                          Last edited by Guest; 24-09-07, 16:36.

Comment

Thanks John
                            I should think most people have the adobe reader, it's used for lots and seems to be a necessary download. Will give that a whirl as well.

Jen

Comment

Nudge: Just keeping the thread alive in case anyone else finds it useful. :D

Comment

Open Office Notes

SAVE for future reading
                                Margaret N
                                DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Nudge :D

Comment

Thanks John, thats useful to know - I have a similar problem when I send works documents to people who use WORD. If I get a word doc Ive worked out that I can download a viewer and thats fine but its nice to know how to send it too.

Comment

Link to OpenOffice.org - Templates:

http://www.familytreeforum.com/computer-help/36964-openoffice-org-templates.html

Comment

Nudge for Lindy :D

Comment

Working...
                                        X