Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Historian 3

This software is now on Version 3.1.2

If you are using Version 2, you need to pay for the upgrade to Version 3, otherwise you can upgrade to the latest version for free.

The software is well supported by the User Group and the publishers, Calico Pie, so if any Hints & Tips are needed they will eventually appear in The Wiki and the links to them will be published here.

But please feel free to add questions or advice about the software on this thread. We are a small group of users on this forum, but I am sure we can help each other out!!

Family Historian Website

A Tour of the Software

Interview with Simon Orde, owner of Calico Pie

Free 30 Day Trial

Family Historian User Group

Last edited by Caroline; 18-06-07, 09:31.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Family historian

I have been wondering about buying this and followed your links to the trial. It is not intuitive and I think it will take me the whole 30 days to work out its basics. It does have nicer graphics but FTM is so much easier to work with. I'm hoping that the rewards be worth the efforts.

Would you have any advice?

I tried the online help and almost gave up there.

Margaret

Comment

Hi Margaret,
      I found the program a little daunting at first, but can ease yourself into it using as many or as few features as you like, it is so flexible.
      I would also recommend Gedcom Census for a really easy way to include census information.
      Derek :p

Comment

Originally posted by dopping View Post
        I have been wondering about buying this and followed your links to the trial. It is not intuitive and I think it will take me the whole 30 days to work out its basics.
        If you haven't done so try watching
        Getting Started [Knowledge Base Wiki]
        from the knowledge Base at FHUG. It gives a basic introduction to adding new information with FH. There are several other tutorials at
        How To Index [Knowledge Base Wiki]
        Jane
        Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
        "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

Hello Jane - nice to have our own resident expert here!!

You user group is so useful we don't need to give as much help on here as with some of the other packages. Have you found the wiki pages I have started?

Welcome.
          Caroline
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I will pop a couple of links in when I get some time, FHUG takes a good chunk of my spare time as you might guess.
            Jane
            Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
            "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

Yes I bet it does - I have just received 3 emails from you!!! But I know where to come if I don't know the answers ...
              Caroline

Comment

Nice to see you on here Jane! ;)

May I just say to anyone who's not sure how to perform a paticular task on Family Historian - the 'walk throughs' on the FHUG are fantastic. If you find the program daunting at first just take it a bit at a time and when you need to perform another action check out the FHUG and you'll be away. I find it so much easier than reading the instructions :o

Anne

Comment

I'm trying to sort out a diagram today. I posted this query on the mailing list, but for some reason it didn't work. I've now posted it on the forum on FHUG and there's only one member logged in at the moment - me

So hopefully someone on here can help, here it is -

I am preparing a diagram showing selected descendants of a couple using the husband as the root to accompany some text I've been working on.

I want to add the wife's parents to the diagram, together with the son she had before she married and the children her son's wife had before marrying him.

If I try adding their ancestors/descendants to the diagram, it produces another box for them. I can move this so it lays on top of their original box, but it doesn't look very professional. Is there a way I can get rid of this duplicate box?

Also does the connecting line have to be a colourful ribbon, can't it be the same as the rest of the diagram?

Thank you for your help.

Comment

I think I might be able to help but not till I get home ... maybe Jane will call in in the meantime.
                    Caroline

Comment

Thanks Caroline. When are you back home - Thursday? I need to get this done this week as I'm away for 2 weeks from the weekend. Hopefully Jane or someone can help, if not I'll wait to you get home. Thanks

Comment

Back on Friday so probably not much use to you then.
                        Caroline

Comment

Don't worry, someone through FHUG or the mailing list should be able to help, although for some reason my email didn't work. I'll have to try again. Thanks Caroline.

Comment

I think I've sorted it now, thanks for the offer of help anyway.

Comment

Anyone on this thread who once used FTM and changed to FH?
                              I'm toying with the idea but want to know what others think, ie- is FH better, what is better about FH? etc.
                              Thanks,

Comment

I changed over about a year ago - maybe longer! Am still grappling with the more complex features, but there is so much more available to do with FH once you have spent the time on it. I would advise getting the basics from the tutes on the web site and not to do more than the basics without checking it out first! For example, read up on adding sources before actually putting them in.

If you are familiar with databases it is probably a lot easier (I'm not!)

It is a lot more powerful and has a lot of great features, but takes some time. You could always keep the old FTM going along side for a while, until you are more confident!

Comment

I haven't used FTM so don't know how this compares but the FH feature I really like is the all relatives diagram. This puts on screen a diagram showing every relative of a chosen person, with ribbons linking across the diagram if the same person appears more than once as in cousins marrying etc (which my lot have done a lot of
                                  It is even possible to then paste onto the same diagram a tree of an unrelated family, and move this around. As I am tracing umpteen people with the same surname from the same village and trying to piece together how they are related this feature is brilliant. I slide a new family in, move it to the place where dates fit and sometimes Hey Presto spot the link.
                                  Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I moved from FTM (Albeit an early version) to FH a few years ago. I find the FH approach is 'different' but easy enough to get to grips with.
                                    The way it handles photo's is great, the way you can pick out a persons face from a group photo.
                                    It uses Gedcom as its native format and it is supposed to be the only Family History software that fully supports the Gedcom 5.5 standard. Other software convert from their native format to their own individual variations of the standard.
                                    It is also a British product so is more appropriate for Genealogists on this side of the pond.
                                    Derek :p

Comment

When I started I tried demos of 5 or 6 different programs and I found FH to be the most flexible.

The beauty of FH is that you only have to learn to use as much as you want to. Entering basic details is straightforward, but if you want to add more detail you just learn as much as you need to. From there you can then start to use the more advanced features.
                                      Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
                                      Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                                      Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                                      Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
                                      Devine in Ireland

Comment

Does FH have an option to print out your tree onto a continuous roll of paper?

Comment

Working...
                                        X