I'm excited!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm excited!

My father's family seemed to have had the habit of giving their children second names based on a relative or ancestor, I have a great uncle named John Burdett Brown (his mother, my great grandmother was Margaret Sarah Burdett), another great uncle was named William Noice Brown and a great aunt named Hannah Milburn Brown. My grandfather was Harry Jones Brown and I have just discovered that his father (my great grandfather) had a sister who married a Jonathan Jones in 1852, I need to send for the certificate to make sure but as two of her children have been given the middle names of Milburn and Noice I am hopeful. Now I just have to discover where the names Milburn and Noice come from, I would be grateful for any pointers, they all seemed to live in Middlesex in the Hounslow, Hammersmith, Kensington and Chiswick areas.
    Margaret

I think I have worked out the family to Hannah and William Brown and and Anna Maria was baptised 1829

There is a marriage of a William Brown to Hannah Milburn 22 May 1827 Fulham Middlesex, Greater London Marriage Index

All I can find is a transcription

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!
    Last edited by Elaine; 09-09-19, 21:25.
    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

That should be Millburn
      Elaine

Comment

My Rotherhithe, Surrey family also gave their children middle names relating to other family members and thus we have John Dawson Christie and John Christie Dawson; Herbert Whitmore Dawson and Hugh Whitmore Christie and several others.
        Diane
        Sydney Australia
        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

I guess due to the timeline the names may not be from Middlesex, as it was in the 1830/40/50s that many went to 'London', I know lots of mine arrived around that time.

I did start a search for Margaret Sarah Burdetts parents and did find this baptism in Ealing, transcribed as Bardett:

and then this marriage for the parents William and Mary Ann Page (she is a widow)

there were a couple of census easy to find - but Margaret change to middle initial L rather than S, but everything else seemed right - thought this odd and wasn't sure what to make of it. they also have a child with 'Page' as middle name so thinking she used her maiden name on the marriage.

No Noice turning up, so no idea if any of this is helpful, or whether you have this already?
          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 09-09-19, 23:41.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

NB William Burdett if correct is from Sibbertoft, in Northamptonshire

...and he is a cattle doctor/castrator!
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thank you Carolyn and Elaine, unfortunately I'm not on Ancestry so they won't let me follow the links without buying a sub! However, Elaine, that marriage of William to Hannah Milburn looks about right. Yes Carolyn, Mary Ann Page was a Widow, her maiden name was Sankey, from memory she had two 'Page' children one of whom was nursed in old age by her 'sister' who was one of the unmarried Brown children. I did contact someone who had a William Burditt (Burdett?) from Sibbertoft in his tree but got a very snooty reply saying that he didn't have anyone like that in his family!!!!

William and Edwin Brown started off as Market Gardeners in Hammersmith, then Edwin moved to Heston and stayed in Sydney Cottage until his death in 1894, his some of the sons also worked for the family firm, one of the daughters married a Gray and their descendants still have a PYO farm somewhere near Wokingham, unfortunately the Gray that I was in touch with died and I've had no further contact with them, but as he didn't know much about his Brown ancestors I doubt if the younger members of the family do, I might try contacting them again.

Diane, I like this giving children names from relatives it does make them slightly easier to find, my grandmother (mother's mother) was given the middle name Chilcot (various spellings) after her grandmother, this continued until fairly recently, the Brown family have peppered America with 'Burdett's' and also carried on some of the first names.
              Margaret

Comment

1841 that I was looking at transcription

HO107/690/2/37/15

New Road, Hammersmith, Kensington
                William Brown Male 40 1801 Middlesex Occ M. Gardener
                Elizabeth Brown Female 55 1786 Middlesex
                William Brown Male 14 1827 Middlesex
                Edward Brown Male 9 1832 Middlesex
                /
                Mary Gye Female 20 1821 -
                Sarah Brotwood Female 25 1816 -
                //

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
                Elaine

Comment

Thank you Elaine, that is interesting, William and Edward could easily be 'my' William and Edwin the dates are about right, William senior could be their grandfather, not sure about Elizabeth, something for me to get my teeth into. Although I do use Family Search I find it difficult to navigate and I've never thought of using it for Census Returns, something else to try out.
                  Margaret

Comment

Well, I'm even more excited now, and feeling a bit smug to be honest, the marriage certificate arrived today and it is the right one, so I now have the occupation of Jonathan Jones as Grocer which ties up with the Census Returns that I found him on, not only that but the Witnesses are all family members apart from two. Just one puzzle the grooms fathers name is William Jones a Wheelwright and the Registrar is also a William Jones, it was a Baptist marriage, does anyone know if it is possible for his father, a Wheelwright, to also be a Registrar, the marriage took place in 1852.

PS I've sorted the two William Jones out, on the 1851 Census there were two of them one 'mine' is down as a Master Grocer the other is a Registrar and Relieving Officer, one lives in Church Lane the other in Church Street, so presumably near neighbours.
                    Last edited by Rusty; 16-09-19, 16:21.
                    Margaret

Comment

I remember how excited I got when I saw the envelope when I started all this, glad it's all come together.
                      Elaine

Comment

Working...
                      X