overseas military births

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overseas military births

I'm looking for overseas military births. Is there another site apart from the Genealogist? Thanks.
    Particularly looking for children of Thomas Nolan b.1840 Limerick and Sarah Armstrong b.1852 Ireland.
    Last edited by castanea1985; 08-09-19, 15:19.

Depends on whereabouts you are looking, but if in the Indian region FIBIS carries births to wives of servicemen. Googling fibis will put you on the right track.
    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Again, depends what exactly you're looking for. There's the GRO Regimental Birth Index but that only gives you the child's name, Year, and place/country, with sometimes the fathers regiment. To check the parents you then have to order the certificate from the GRO.

You might find baptism records for some places, but generally speaking not that many.

Comment

Originally posted by castanea1985 View Post
        Particularly looking for children of Thomas Nolan b.1840 Limerick and Sarah Armstrong b.1852 Ireland.
        Ireland was part of the UK in those years, so these were not "overseas" births - or that's what I've been told for the one that I seek from 1863.

Irish CivReg started in 1864 - except marriage, which started abt 20 years early for marriages only - and participation was pretty much limited to Protestant.

So, that leaves baptismal records. Good luck. I haven't been able to find the one for my 1863 (Curragh Camp, Naas).
        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 09-09-19, 03:41.

Comment

Have you been able to locate their fathers' service records? There might be info in them.

Comment

No children recorded in Discharge records (FMP) or Pension Record (Ancestry)

Possible children of Thomas Nolan on FMP
            Royal Military School Admissions

George J Nolan
            Dublin
            Father's Rgt 80th ft Staffs Rgt
            notes Struck off

Patrick Nolan
            Dublin
            B 31/05/1878 aged 10 years 1 month
            H 3' 10", Chest 22" , W 3st 5lbs
            Tailor
            Father's Rgt 80th ft Staffs Rgt
            Notes Army Volunteer

Vera

Comment

FMP British Armed Forces and Overseas Birth and Baptisms
              George J Nolan b 1873 Hong Kong 80th Rgt
              Vol 1196 Page 26

Patrick b 1878 on Irish Genealogy

Vera
              Last edited by vera2013; 09-09-19, 06:46.

Comment

Apart from the many Nolan children b Hong Kong on the GRO Overseas register with the 80th, there is one for

Emily S Nolan, 1871 Birr. She is on Irish Genealogy, Parsonstown reg f Thomas, mother Sarah Armstrong. As is Patrick b 1878.

Vera
                Last edited by vera2013; 09-09-19, 07:33.

Comment

If you have an idea which regiment, then check the Muster rolls to see where they were stationed at the relevant time and that may help track down a birth/baptism. A few Muster rolls are on-line on Ancestry, but most not ( view at Kew).
                  Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                  Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks everyone. My Thomas Nolan was in the 80th and had a son, Thomas who was born in Hong Kong in 1875. Thomas Senior married Sarah Armstrong in 1870 at the barracks in Belfast. I’m now looking for other children born to the above, as I know he was in Belfast for the first two years of their marriage then Singapore, HongKong etc until he left. I’m assuming his military number was 866? His occ. was listed as a drummer when he married. His son Thomas joined the Connaught rangers when he was 14 in 1889 and had also been to military school

Comment

The 80th regiment
                      BF013942-0DD8-4EF7-ABB3-8703FBC215CE.jpg

Comment

See post 8. Have you got Emily b 1871 and Patrick b 1878. Both on Irish Geanology site with parents Thomas and Sarah.

Vera

Comment

I have now, Vera thank you. I’ve only been on that site once and struggled to know how to search.

Comment

Originally posted by castanea1985 View Post
                            Thomas Senior married Sarah Armstrong in 1870 at the barracks in Belfast.
                            and you've found the Irish CivReg of the marriage on Irish Genealogy?

Comment

Yes. There can be lots of names pop up if you don' t know the Reg district. The GRO doesn't show actual Reg district on their Overseas register. Ask for a link if you have problems.

Vera
                              Last edited by vera2013; 09-09-19, 15:44.

Comment

One question, why would young Thomas be born in Hong Long then Patrick be born in Ireland when the father was still stationed abroad?

Comment

Ignore me... Thomas was discharged in 1877!

Comment

Working...
                                  X