Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edward Colston Hillyer

Hi all,
    I am researching this as part of a friend's tree and am hoping to fill some gaps.
    Edward Colston Hillyer
    BIRTH 6 NOV 1878 • Barton Regis, Gloucestershire
    DEATH JAN 1952 • Manchester

1891 - orphan in the Harris Orphanage in Preston.

In Q4 1901 he married either Hannah Sharples or Mary Ann Bright in Preston.

I have not found him in the 1901 census.

In 1911 he is living in Preston with his housekeeper Elizabeth Kearns (nee Wignall) who was still married to her husband Joseph Kearns.

He obviously acknowledged two of her children as his, and it is likely also that the John Kearns on this record was also his son as he is on the 1939 register as Hillyer, and his death and probate records are also in the name of Hillyer.

Edward and Elizabeth spend the rest of their lives together and finally marry in 1942 (her husband had died in Canada in 1940)

So - can anyone find him in 1901 and confirm whether he was really a widower in 1911 as declared on the census record - I haven't been able to find a death record for either a Hannah or Mary Ann Hillyer between 1901 and 1911.

Thanks,
    Christine
    Last edited by Karamazov; 26-08-19, 17:17.
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

He married Mary Ann Bright and then married Elizabeth Kearns in 1942, which suggests either a divorce or a death for Mary, not bigamy.

OC

Comment

Christine there is a death for a Mary Ann Hillyer on 6th April 1905 in Wrexham, Denbighshire. She is 25 and burial reg gives her address as 26 Dale Street

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
        He married Mary Ann Bright and then married Elizabeth Kearns in 1942, which suggests either a divorce or a death for Mary, not bigamy.

OC
        OC - How did you pin down that it was Mary Ann Bright he married and not Hannah Sharples? No, I don't think he was a bigamist as he and Elizabeth only married in 1942. They could have been waiting for confirmation that her husband Joseph had died which he duly did in 1940. But as they waited another couple of years I wondered whether they were waiting for his first wife to die and that he was not really a widower in 1911 at all.

Christine
        Last edited by Karamazov; 26-08-19, 19:10.
        Researching:
        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Christine

I got the marriage from Lancsbmd which gives the couple and the venue where they married.

Sorry, I realise my post was a bit confusing because you cannot read my mind and follow my thoughts, lol! Three options, divorce, death, bigamy and I was ruling out bigamy because of the length of time involved.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
            Christine

I got the marriage from Lancsbmd which gives the couple and the venue where they married.

Sorry, I realise my post was a bit confusing because you cannot read my mind and follow my thoughts, lol! Three options, divorce, death, bigamy and I was ruling out bigamy because of the length of time involved.

OC
            DUH - I didn't think to look on LancsBMD and didn't find a record on Lancashire OPC.
            Thanks,
            Christine
            Researching:

Comment

A possible for him in 1901 at 4 Park Place Road, Bristol, although the spelling and PoB is wrong

Edward Hillier 22 Horizontal Sawyer born Somerset (the place name of Chantry appears to have been added in a different handwriting)

Comment

I have the name Hillyer in Somerset (Taunton area) in my tree and they have moved between Hillyer and Hillier - also both with one L.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Have you found the baptism for Edward James Hillyer 25 Oct 1902 ?
                  births MMN Bright

Wales, Caernarvonshire, Parish Registers, 1538-1912

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Edward and Mary Ann, Gwynedd Tsuru junction
                  Edward cabinet maker
                  Last edited by Elaine; 26-08-19, 20:25.
                  Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                  http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Christine ..........

he didn't marry until Quarter 4 1901, so he won't be with a wife in the 1901 Census

I wonder if this could possibly be him???

1901 Census

Edward Hillyer Age 25 b.c 1876, Bristol, Gloucestershire, Servant
                    Address:- Coldharbour, Surrey
                    Employer was a Grocer, Baker & Dealer

NO ............ sorry, it is the other Edward Hillyer born in Gloucestershire.
                    Last edited by Sylvia C; 26-08-19, 21:01.
                    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                      Have you found the baptism for Edward James Hillyer 25 Oct 1902 ?
                      births MMN Bright

Wales, Caernarvonshire, Parish Registers, 1538-1912

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Edward and Mary Ann, Gwynedd Tsuru junction
                      Edward cabinet maker
                      Good one Elaine! And good old familysearch.
                      Wonder what happened to this son?
                      My Welsh geography isn't great but would that make the Mary Ann Hillyer death found by Caroline in post 3 a possibility?
                      I'd googlemap now if my iPad battery weren't about to fizzle out...

Thanks,
                      Christine
                      Last edited by Karamazov; 26-08-19, 22:28.
                      Researching:

Comment

I think he died 1910

Lancs BMD

HILLYER Edward James 7 1910 North Preston Lancashire Preston
                        Elaine

Comment

I found Edwards burial Jul 6 Preston Burial Ground (Preston, Lancashire) it's a private grave C 199 1

This is the register with the grave purchaser...Edward C. Hillyer no.199

Last edited by Elaine; 26-08-19, 23:16.
                          Elaine

Comment

Working...
                          X