PDA

View Full Version : Joseph Rogers born 1910 in UK, emigrated to British Columbia 1928

Wendysroom
29-07-19, 13:24
Hi All,

I am based in the UK and struggling to find information on my Uncle Joe. He is my late grandmother's brother.

Joseph Rogers was born in 1910 in Manchester, UK and emigrated to British Columbia in 1928 (I have a copy of the passenger list) following the death of his parents. Unfortunately, this is where my trail goes cold. I know that he married and had one son and he passed away many years ago I believe.

I found a postcard which was addressed to him and his wife in 1970 at an address in Williams Lake.

I wonder if his son is still around, perhaps he married and had children. I don't know the name of Joseph's wife or his son, or the date when he died.

Can anyone connect with this please?

Thanks
Wendy

Karamazov
29-07-19, 15:01
I had a look for possible marriages and deaths in the BC archives. All the ages look some way out but it might be worth looking through each image to check for his parents' names, assuming you know them, just in case. You should be able to see the 10 results here:

http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Genealogy/Results?search=Search&as.type_marriage=true&as.type_death=true&as.first_name=Joseph&as.last_name=Rogers&as.male=&as.age_start_str=&as.age_end_str=&as.place=&as.registration_num=&as.bc_mfilm=&as.gsu_mfilm=&as.start_year_str=&as.start_month_str=&as.start_day_str=&as.end_year_str=&as.end_month_str=&as.end_day_str=&as.bride_first_name=&as.bride_last_name=&as.groom_first_name=&as.groom_last_name=&as.mother_first_name=&as.mother_last_name=&as.father_first_name=&as.father_last_name=&as.denomination=&as.church_name=&as.other_location=&as.birth_location=&as.birth_year_str=&as.birth_month_str=&as.birth_day_str=&as.affiliation=&as.comments=

I also tried searching for him as Joe Rogers, but just got two results for the same man. Again, the age was out, plus this one was born in Vancouver.

Good luck!

Christine

bcbrit
29-07-19, 15:09
Hi Wendy,

What were his parents names please?

I am heading off to work in a few minutes, but will look for you when I am home.

Unless someone has already answered your query.

bcbrit

Wendysroom
29-07-19, 15:53
Hi Christine,

Thank you so much for searching, unfortunately none of the results seem to be my Joseph, definitely worth trying though :)

Best regards,
Wendy

I had a look for possible marriages and deaths in the BC archives. All the ages look some way out but it might be worth looking through each image to check for his parents' names, assuming you know them, just in case. You should be able to see the 10 results here:

http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Genealogy/Results?search=Search&as.type_marriage=true&as.type_death=true&as.first_name=Joseph&as.last_name=Rogers&as.male=&as.age_start_str=&as.age_end_str=&as.place=&as.registration_num=&as.bc_mfilm=&as.gsu_mfilm=&as.start_year_str=&as.start_month_str=&as.start_day_str=&as.end_year_str=&as.end_month_str=&as.end_day_str=&as.bride_first_name=&as.bride_last_name=&as.groom_first_name=&as.groom_last_name=&as.mother_first_name=&as.mother_last_name=&as.father_first_name=&as.father_last_name=&as.denomination=&as.church_name=&as.other_location=&as.birth_location=&as.birth_year_str=&as.birth_month_str=&as.birth_day_str=&as.affiliation=&as.comments=

I also tried searching for him as Joe Rogers, but just got two results for the same man. Again, the age was out, plus this one was born in Vancouver.

Good luck!

Christine

Wendysroom
29-07-19, 15:55
Hi bcbrit,

His parents were called Joseph and Lily.

Thank you :)

Best regards,
Wendy

Hi Wendy,

What were his parents names please?

I am heading off to work in a few minutes, but will look for you when I am home.

Unless someone has already answered your query.

bcbrit

Sylvia C
29-07-19, 19:52
Do you know definitely that he emigrated to BC in 1928, and that he didn't leave between then and the postcard in 1970?

It is entirely possible that he either didn't go straight to BC, or that he moved provinces to find work, etc.

This is a good site for censuses, etc, but all bmds will be by province

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/genealogy/Pages/introduction.aspx

Sylvia C
29-07-19, 19:58
It looks as though this might be the record of his arrival in Canada, unfortunately I don't think you can see the image

Item: Joseph Rogers
Given Name(s): Joseph
Surname: Rogers
Nationality: En
Ship: MINNEDOSA
Port of Arrival: Quebec, Quebec
Date of Arrival: 1928-05-12
Year of Arrival: 1928
Volume Number: 4
Page Number: 110
Series: C-1-a
Microfilm Reel Number: T-14741
Reference: RG 76
Item Number: 549572

Wendysroom
29-07-19, 20:20
Hi Sylvia

I don't know for sure that he started out in British Columbia but he definitely settled there later on.

Yes that is the correct passenger record, I managed to get a copy of the original :)

Thanks so much for your help,
Wendy

vera2013
29-07-19, 20:22
On Family Search BC Records

Marriage 1938 31st June
Whatcom, Washington
James Joseph Rogers to
Edna Mildred Patterson

Death
James Joseph Rogers
Born 20/06/1910 Manchester
Died 05/04/1980 Widower
Prince George, BC

Father Rogers, Mother Lily Deighton

Vera

Karamazov
29-07-19, 20:43
On Family Search BC Records

Marriage 1938 31st June
Whatcom, Washington
James Joseph Rogers to
Edna Mildred Patterson

Death
James Joseph Rogers
Born 20/06/1910 Manchester
Died 05/04/1980 Widower
Prince George, BC

Father Rogers, Mother Lily Deighton

Vera

Good find, Vera - I think you could be right as the image is available here:
http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Image/Genealogy/dfa09d0e-df15-473d-aa66-ea32792e35af

It gives his birthplace as Manchester, and his son, who was the informant, gives an address in Williams Lake.

Christine

Wendysroom
29-07-19, 20:45
Hi Vera

My goodness, I had no idea he had another Christian name, its not on any info I have! The records you found are certainly correct given the parents names :)

Thanks very much :)

Please could you tell me how I can find the record of their son's birth, I am hoping he may still be around, or his children if he had any. I don't know what his name is so is there some sort of searchable birth register, like we have in the UK?

Best regards
Wendy

vera2013
29-07-19, 20:53
James Joseph's death cert can be found on this site

Royal Museum BC Canada

Informant son. I wont transcribe as he could well and I hope be still alive

Vera

Wendysroom
29-07-19, 20:53
Just seen the death certificate! It names his son as James. Thats a great result :) Now I have a name, I can hopefully try and connect with his son if he is still around.

Thanks again for your help :)
Wendy

vera2013
29-07-19, 20:55
Sorry Christine for repeating. You were over the page

Vera

Karamazov
29-07-19, 20:55
Image of marriage record that Vera found is here:
https://www.digitalarchives.wa.gov/DigitalObject/Download/1d2d77f2-7b86-48c8-8491-80489e0826ce

Christine

Karamazov
29-07-19, 21:02
I think I may have found a current address and phone number for the son but can't post it here as it belongs to a living person.
If you PM me I can send you the details

Christine

Wendysroom
29-07-19, 21:03
Wonderful Christine, thats lovely thank you.

Well, if his son was born soon after they married in 1938 that makes him potentially around 80. I shall have to get my skates on to see if I can find him.

Goodness knows where to start.

Best regards
Wendy

Wendysroom
29-07-19, 21:04
Ok will do :)

Karamazov
29-07-19, 21:21
Ok will do :)

I've sent you the details. What do you think?

Christine

Wendysroom
29-07-19, 21:25
Looks good to me Christine, I think I will make contact perhaps first by telephone and then maybe write, how exciting!

I can't thank you all enough :) what a result :)

Best regards
Wendy

Karamazov
29-07-19, 21:44
Looks good to me Christine, I think I will make contact perhaps first by telephone and then maybe write, how exciting!

I can't thank you all enough :) what a result :)

Best regards
Wendy

I've also found Edna's death record:
http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Image/Genealogy/e3ec4074-7fb6-401c-820a-2df76fbf3e09

Good luck.

Christine