jewish ancestors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jewish ancestors

wonder if anyone has any clues how or where to find info on my grandfather Abraham Lemon he was born in europe of jewish descent came to uk in 1900s .He was born 1882/3:(

His father's name will be on his marriage certificate. When did he come to the UK nd was he naturalised? His naturalisation papers should have some useful information on them.

OC

Comment

Have you tried looking on FamilySearch, a free site although you have to register. Thye sometimes have records.

FWIW .......... Lemon might well be a change of surname. It odes not "sound" Jewish to me, and many European immigrants, Jewish or not, changed their names after arriving in the UK, or the US.

I cannot find an Abraham Lemon born ca 1882 on either the 1901 or 1911 Censuses, nor does their seem to be one on the 1939 Register.
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Is this him on the 1939 Register?

AAFEC8AC-E6CA-4027-8ADD-6510A7517781.jpg

Comment

Could this be him in 1901?

18CC344D-90A0-42EC-9883-DE76078E2990.jpg

Comment

The one on the 1939 Register seems to have died 1954. FMP has this spelling from the death index and also has same on 1939 Register. ancestry transcribed it as Van Lemmen

68635582-6C42-451F-AB28-8FFF19243555.jpg
            Last edited by GallowayLass; 28-07-19, 20:14.

Comment

The one on the 1901 census (a wood carver) appears to have emigrated to New York in 1902 probably with his ?mother.

Comment

This is the marriage entry for the man who died in 1954. I suspect the two Emmas are the same person known by two surnames. The other name in the marriage finder doesn’t seem a good fit for maiden surname.

37F2AF6F-567B-4C89-966C-68FA551B8B68.jpg

Comment

Was his father called Benjamin and mother called Miriam?
                  Last edited by Tilly Mint; 28-07-19, 22:45.
                  Jacky

Comment

yes they were

Comment

benjamin and miriam were his parents names they are on marriage cert thats all i have to go on

Comment

Found this but there are no dates for the individuals......

https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...trait/L1BG-TT1.

Can you give us the area/date where they were married please.
                        Jacky

Comment

Working...
                        X