Can't find on WW1 Medal Roll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't find on WW1 Medal Roll

I'm looking for Joseph Thomas Foster B 1881 who served in 237 Company Royal Army Service Corps with service number T/308367. He enlisted 30/3/17 and was demobbed 24/6/19. I have his service record but can't find his medal record.

Not everyone who saw service during WW1 was entitled to the issue of medals.
    If you have his service record, does it record the issue of any medals? Did he see overseas service?
    Sometimes the name of the man was recorded incorrectly, mis-indexed or mis-filed, making it tricky to retrieve the information/medal card/medal roll entry.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
      Not everyone who saw service during WW1 was entitled to the issue of medals.
      If you have his service record, does it record the issue of any medals? Did he see overseas service?
      Sometimes the name of the man was recorded incorrectly, mis-indexed or mis-filed, making it tricky to retrieve the information/medal card/medal roll entry.

Jay
      Hi Janet, Having had a better look at his service record there is no mention of an medals and it would look like he never served abroad having spent his time at Prees Heath. I presume that due to this he wasn't entitled and so no mention on the roll.

Andrew

Comment

As around 90% of Medal Cards exist vs about 30% of the service records for WW1 servicemen, it is far more common to find the Medal Records than the service ones ............ you are one of the lucky ones in that respect.

It looks as though Joseph was not eligible for any medals or awards, looking at the following list .....

Medals awarded during WWI included:
        1914 Star (Mons Star) was awarded for service in France or Flanders (Belgium) between 5 August and 22 November 1914

1914-15 Star was awarded for service in France or Flanders (Belgium) between 23 November 1914 and 31 December 1915, or for service in any theater between 5 August 1914 and 31 December 1915

Allied Subjects Medal was awarded to individuals (not necessarily British) for service to the Allied cause, for example, by helping British Prisoners of War escape

Allied Victory Medal (Victory Medal) was awarded for service in any operational theater between 5 August 1914 and 11 November 1918. It was issued to individuals who received the 1914 and 1914-15 Stars and to most individuals who were issued the British War Medal. The medal was also awarded for service in Russia (1919-1920) and post-war mine clearance in the North Sea (1918-1919).

British War Medal was awarded to both servicemen and civilians that either served in a theater of war, or rendered service overseas between 5 August 1914 and 11 November 1918. It was also awarded for service in Russia, and post-war mine clearance in the Baltic, the Black Sea, and the Caspian Sea between 1919 and 1920.

Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM) was awarded to non-commissioned officers for bravery

Distinguished Service Order (DSO) was generally awarded to officers ranked Major and higher for distinguished war service

Military Cross Medal (MC) was awarded to commissioned officers of Captain and below, as well Warrant Officers, for valour during active operations

Military Medal was awarded to non-commissioned officers for bravery in land battle

Silver War Badge (SWB) was awarded to servicemen who became ill or were wounded while serving in a theater of war or at home

Territorial Force War Medal was awarded to servicemen who were members of the Territorial Force either on or before 30 September 1914 and who served in an operational theater abroad between 5 August 1914 and 11 November 1918

Victoria Cross Medal (VC) was awarded for valour in the face of the enemy
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Thanks Sylvia c for a very interesting article which ought to be a sticky for future reference.

Comment

Working...
          X