Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joanna Rundle Cowling b c 1835 Wales (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joanna Rundle Cowling b c 1835 Wales (?)

In 1851 JRC was recorded, aged 16, unmarried, as a servant in the household of Susanna Polgreen, Lamerton, Devon. HO 107. Piece/ folio 1884/123, page 16

I am interested in two Cowling brothers who migrated from Cornwall in early 1800s. One settled in the Lamerton area of West Devon and the other moved on to Carmarthenshire and Cardiganshire, Wales.

I cannot place JRC in either family and I think she could be totally unrelated to both but I cannot dismiss the possibility until I can establish who she was. I do not recognise her on any other census nor have I identified any other entry for her on Family Search. I can see no record of her marriage or death on Free BMD.

Can anyone see something I am missing or is better equipped with lateral thinking?

Only one I can see at the moment. Bit young though.
    1841 England, Wales & Scotland Census
    Meeting House Lane, Bedwellty, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire, Wales
    Phillip Cowling Male 30 1811 - Miner
    Christiana Cowling Female 40 1801 -
    Elizabeth Cowling Female 3 1838 -
    Joanna Cowling Female 2 1839 -
    Richard Cowling Male 1 1840 -
    None born in county
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

the Rundle bit must be a family name? what is the mothers maiden name of the brothers do you know?

also it maybe that the mother is also Joanna.

Can you give a bit more info on the brothers eg where and when they were born
      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 02-07-19, 13:57.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Many, many, thanks, Kat. You have cracked it!

Philip Cowling married Christina Nicholls in Gwennap on 25 June 1832. The groom was from Llan-fair-a-yr- bryn, Carmarthenshire. He was the son of Thomas and Joanna (Reynolds) Cowling married St Agnes in 1791. He was baptised in Gwennap on 1 Jan 1792. The family migrated to Devon 1795-1800 and on to Carmarthenshire in 1806/7.

I have yet to trace Joanna's baptism but Rundle would appear to be a misreprentation of Reynolds.

Comment

seems to piece together nicely. I assume the mining was better in Wales even then, interesting move.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Working...
          X