Newspaper reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newspaper reports

I am looking for a person in the newspaper reports as I have a presumed death date of 1880. Samuel Lawley died in Aug/September 1880 in Swindon, Wiltshire and was buried by Coroners Warrant. Would these newspaper reports give more information?

Thanks for reading.

FindMyPast newspaper collection has 3 articles about him and 2 death notices.

Comment

This one is from the Wiltshire and Gloucestershire Standard Saturday 4 September 1880, page 5 column 5.
      The other two don’t add anything new and are virtually word for word.

45BBA4CA-4F2B-4DE6-BEF7-1A51CD19B7D3.jpg

Comment

Thank you very much GallowLass, for you help. It is interesting to read what happened, but also very sad. Do the death notices mention any relatives at all?

Comment

No they don’t. There’s not even an address for the deceased just date, name and age.
          Last edited by GallowayLass; 01-07-19, 16:59.

Comment

Thank you again, for your help. I think the next step is to look at trade directories/electoral rolls? I have never looked at these before. I think I need to see if there is an address for him.

Thanks so much again - for your time and help.

Comment

And apologies for mistyping your name - I thought it didn't look right!

Comment

If all else fails, you would probably find an address on his death certificate.

You can get an emailed pdf copy from GRO for £7 vs £11 for a copy sent by mail.

The pdf cannot be used for official purposes, but is good enough for a lot of family history.
                My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Thanks very much, Sylvia C. I will order the death cert, I just wanted to see where/how long he was in Wiltshire for via directories, as he wouldn't be on the 1881 census.

Comment

FMP and Ancestry have his burial records.The latter records burial in parish of New Swindon 3 Sep 1880 by Coroner' warrant. Address 6 Eastcott Terrace. No age given.

Vera

Comment

That's great vera2013 - thank you! I need to trace him backwards now.

Comment

This could be Samuel in 1871 lodging in Staffs with wife, Harriet

Samuel Lawly b 1846 Wellington, Shropshire Brickmaker
                        Harriet Lawly b 1846 Shropshire

Lodging with Thomas Mulliner b 1830

At Victoria Street, Wolstanton, Staffs

A Samuel can be seen in 1851 and 1861 with parents Robert a Master Brickmaker, mother Maria and brother Henry in Wellington, Shropshire.

In 1861 Samuel is a brick maker

Vera
                        Last edited by vera2013; 01-07-19, 21:55.

Comment

Thank you very much vera2013 - that looks like the right Samuel, brickmaker.

Comment

Originally posted by reuben30 View Post
                            And apologies for mistyping your name - I thought it didn't look right!
                            Don’t worry about it, happens quite a lot LOL

Comment

Working...
                            X