Nottinghamshire marriage help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nottinghamshire marriage help please

I think some of you have Nottinghamshire connections and some collections of records.

I am looking for the marriage of Alfred Griffiths to Clara Finney in Hucknall on 25 Sept 1897. Alfred was born in Wellington, Shropshire and I need to find out about him to discount him from a complicated search! I'm hoping his father will be Joseph Griffiths. I'm loath to buy the certificate because he isn't a relation. He is in Hucknall with Clara in 1901 and 1911.

If you want the long story(!!) this Alfred Griffiths' father died when he was very young and his mother Hannah remarried to a Jones. Alfred appears in 1881 in Wellington aged 10 as Alfred Jones but in 1891 he is Alfred Griffiths in Wellington with his mother Hannah Jones.
    Another researcher claims he is the Alfred Jones who is with Alice Owen and her children in Wellington in 1911. Alice registered all the children (no father on certificates) as Griffiths but Alfred Jones was with them in 1901 as well and I think he is likely to be the father (the one child who died was registered Alfred Edward Jones Griffiths!!). The other researcher suggests Alice calls herself Griffiths because that could have been Alfred's surname at birth. HOWEVER there is another, even more complicated reason she might have done this!!! I'll stop there. This is my son in law's tree!

Anne

I've had a look and the only thing I have found is the marriage took place at St Mary Magdalene Hucknall Torkard. Only the transcript on FMP.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Yes, thanks Lin, that's how I know the date. Sometimes those transcriptions give the fathers too. I am hoping someone has a CD collection of parish records.
      Anne

Comment

I think Julie Dark Secret has a Nottm CD for marriages but might not go up that late. She has looked things up for me before.
        Lin

Comment

Thanks Lin, I'll PM Julie if she doesn't see this.
          Anne

Comment

Yes the marriage occurred in St Marys 25th Sept 1897 Alfred Griffiths to Clara Finney.

It is only a database and doesn't give fathers of B/G BUT I might be able to have a look at the parish records for you.
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

John Griffiths & Emma Phillips were witnesses

Alfred was 25 batch/occ Collier----- father Joseph Griffiths - collier
              Clara Finney 22 spin cigar maker ---father Henry Finney - collier.

hope it helps

I do have an image of the entry too. [should you require it]
              Julie

Comment

Thank you so much Julie!! Given his birth place of Wellington I'm sure it is the right one. Now I can discount Alfred Griffiths from my searches and be sure that Alice Owen/Griffiths was nothing to do with him.
                Brilliant result, thank you very much indeed.
                Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                  Thank you so much Julie!! Given his birth place of Wellington I'm sure it is the right one. Now I can discount Alfred Griffiths from my searches and be sure that Alice Owen/Griffiths was nothing to do with him.
                  Brilliant result, thank you very much indeed.
                  Anne
                  So this is the right man? confused much... lol.. and if you would like a photo of the register then PM me your email addy and i'll send it over. x
                  Julie

Comment

Well done Julie, and brilliant you have sorted it out, Anne
                    Lin

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                      So this is the right man? confused much... lol.. and if you would like a photo of the register then PM me your email addy and i'll send it over. x
                      Yes its the right man .... the one I wanted it to be so I could reject him as being the one the other researcher thought he was. Bet you are even more confused now!!
                      Thanks, I'll send my email for a copy so I have the proof!
                      Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
                        Well done Julie, and brilliant you have sorted it out, Anne
                        That's alright, I'll bet that if it were you you'd have done the same :smilee:
                        Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                          Yes its the right man .... the one I wanted it to be so I could reject him as being the one the other researcher thought he was. Bet you are even more confused now!!
                          Thanks, I'll send my email for a copy so I have the proof!
                          Anne
                          Yep get you now, so you could disprove his findings? [the other researcher?]
                          Julie

Comment

Working...
                          X