X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Park Family - A dead end so soon!

Hello all,

I am new and my very first post.

My Grandfather (I never met) Robert Park born 1905 Aberdeen Scotland came to Australia and married Mary Skeoch. He passed away 15 Aug 1948.

His father - John Park born Aberdeen about 1877, died 22nd August 1952 in Aberdeen and was married to Williamina Milne Christie. On their wedding certificate I can see that John's parents was a Robert Park and an Annie Horniblow?? (I think, it is very hard to read)

I cannot find this Robert Park and I can certainly not find Annie. I presume their date of birth would be around 1850 and although I have always thought that Park line were all from Scotland, perhaps they aren't Scottish at all.

Any help very much appreciated to get me back on track with my Dad's side of my tree.

Thanks

Glenys

It looks as though you were correct ..............

from Freebmd, a free site for England and Wales

Marriages Dec 1865 (>99%)
    Edmonds Eustace Droitwich 6c 717
    >>>>>>>>>Horniblow Ann Droitwich 6c 717
    >>>>>>>>>Park Robert Droitwich 6c 717
    Proudfoot Elizabeth Amelia Droitwich 6c 717

Droitwich is in the English county of Worcestershire

I'll have to check further to be sure that Robert did marry Ann as this record just shows the names of the two couples not who married who.
    Last edited by Sylvia C; 21-06-19, 01:04.
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Hi Sylvia,

Thank you! You were so quick.

Kind regards
      Glenys

Comment

The marriage is on FreeReg

Search your ancestry with FreeREG. FreeREG provides free online access to transcriptions of birth, marriage and burial records from Church of England and Church of Scotland registers. You can also use FreeREG to discover: non-Conformist records from England, Scotland and Wales, Municipal Cemetary records, Memorial records and documents relating to life events out of country, at sea and in the military.

Anne's name misspelled as Honiblow

Married 20 Nov 1865

Robert's father Robert Park a Farmer; Anne's father Samuel, a Labourer
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Have to go, will be back in ca 1 hour to see what else I can find

Comment

Hi Sylvia,

That is awesome. Thank you so much for your quick help.

This information will get me back on track.

Thank you so much!

Glenys

Comment

To add further information from the Marriage/Banns that might help in searching .......

Marriage took place at St John the Baptist, Claines, Worcestershire

Robert was 24, Bachelor, Coach-man, Father Robert, a Farmer
              Anne was 27, Spinster, Father Samuel, a Labourer

Both gave their address as Chestnut Terrace, ?Claines

Witnesses:- Frederick Turvey and Sarah Howton Pugh

Comment

Ann's surname is subject to spelling variations/errors!!

This is her on the 1851 Census, with her parents and sister

from Ancestry ..........

Samuel Horneblow 52 b.ca 1799, Throckmorton, Worcestershire, Agricultural labourer
                Sarah Horneblow 50 b.ca 1801, Rock, Worcestershire
                Ann Horneblow 13 b.ca 1838, Throckmorton
                Eliza Horneblow 11 b.ca 1840, Throckmorton

it's even worse in 1841, although it has been corrected by an Ancestry member

Samuel Harniblone 40 Ag Lab
                Sarah Harniblone 40
                James Harniblone 10
                Ann Harniblone 3
                Eliza Harniblone 1

?? Samuel's Mother Ann Horniblow 83 is living in the same house but separate from the family

All living in Throckmorton, Worcestershire
                Last edited by Sylvia C; 21-06-19, 02:58.

Comment

This is her birth registration from the GRO Index, which gives the mother's maiden name (mmn) ........

Horneblow, Ann mmn Hill
                  GRO Reference: 1838 M Quarter in PERSHORE UNION Volume 18 Page 393

Comment

Wow Sylvia!

That is so great!

I am trying to look for both where Anne and Robert were born, makes it a little difficult with these spellings!

I will keep working on it, it's a cold day outside anyway

Thank you.

Glenys

Comment

Just read your above reply.

Thank you so much!

Comment

I will warn you that there are 2 family trees on Ancestry that have Ann Horniblow, and what looks like her parents, BUT they have her married to the wrong person. I've checked that out as much as I can!!

Comment

I can't find Ann in 1861, she's is not with her parents.

Comment

I'm now looking for Robert Park

Comment

Thanks Sylvia,

I am looking at all the leads you are giving me now.

Here I am thinking Honiblow would be easier to search. Very interesting all the spellings.

I will be careful with the Ancestry trees.

Cheers
                              Glenys

Comment

This does NOT seem to be your Robert Park although it is the only one to come up on Ancestry ......... the occupations of father and son are wrong. I'm posting so it will not confuse you or others as yous earch,

1861 Census
                                Robert Park 62 b.ca 1799, Newbiggin, Northumbrland, Stone Mason
                                Ann Park 57
                                Robert Park 23 b.ca 1838, Preston, Northumberland, House Painter

Living in Chirdon, Northumberland

Comment

Thanks I will not use that Robert Park as mine seem to be into horses as per the below wedding cert of his son John.

Glenys

Comment

Glenys .............

Robert Park is a bit of a mystery!!

I can't find him for certain on any census to find his birth place. I can find one Robert Park born ca 1840, mother's name Mary Park. They're both on the 1841 and 1851 Censuses ............ at first she is unmarried and living with a John Crawford and his family in Sedbergh, Yorkshire. By 1851, John's wife has died, Mary Park has married him (in 1841) and had more children.

It looked hopefully, but then Robert Park has very different occupations than coach--man!!! And John Crawford was not a farmer.

I was intrigued because OH has Park as one of his ancestral names, and they come from the Sedbergh area as well as spreading into Westmorland and Cumberland; Robert is a common name in the family, and they tend to be farmers and millers. BUT I cannot see any connection.

Comment

That is great work!

I am in my mind still wondering about Scotland. I know he married to Anne in England but did he travel to marry her???

The only reason why I am wondering is because I saw this Census, which has him placed back in Scotland for his birth.

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

and it says he is a coachman, which shows on John's marriage certificate.

Glenys

Comment

He could have moved to England for work, or with his employer, and met Annie then.

I've been trying to find a Scottish census with any of them on, and can't!

Comment

Working...
                                        X