Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone explain what this is about please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone explain what this is about please?

Newspapers.com is free this weekend, so I've been trying my US side to see if they are listed anywhere.

Alice Anderson was my father in law's grandfather's first wife. She left him and moved from Manchester to Buffalo in the US, where she married John B Anderson. (there is a long thread on here where you all helped me find her).

So, this was in the Buffalo Courier on 5th March 1907. Can someone explain what it is all about? And what does the "Evans" refer to? Is it where the land is. It is not her name. I'm hoping that you can see the link.

Thanks for any help!
    Attached Files
    :D Charney Jo

Hamburg, East Aurora, and Evans are towns around Buffalo, NY. I'd guess that they either married in Evans, or obtained their marriage license in Evans, or were residents in Evans. Not sure what the $$ were about, but maybe the cost of the license? Why would the cost vary??

not sure if this map link will work:

What is the column header?
    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 08-06-19, 00:22.

Comment

must be some kind of transfer/land/licence? it carries on at page 11 with and overall header of court records. next lot are mortgages, looks like sub header is missing. Maybe look at next paper and see what they regularly report on?

on the column next to it - it says deeds city.
      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 08-06-19, 08:49.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Can't be marriages as the first one is two male names.

I would think it's land claims or transfer of deeds, maybe at death?

OC

Comment

Does this include Canadian newspapers? Particularly coverage in Manitoba and Ontario provinces.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
            Does this include Canadian newspapers? Particularly coverage in Manitoba and Ontario provinces.
            I just clicked through and registered, was most impressed with search - give it a go and see where it takes you.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post

OC
              I spotted that , funny that there are no addresses, the first part has addresses
              Last edited by cbcarolyn; 08-06-19, 13:13.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post

I would think it's land claims or transfer of deeds, maybe at death?

OC

Right - getting the column header would be useful, tho. Seems like too small an amount for land transfer, tho, even in that era.
                Last edited by PhotoFamily; 08-06-19, 15:42.

Comment

column starts https://www.newspapers.com/clip/32473095/

Deeds City

1.JPG

Then it says county - so assume that to be "deeds county" - are they so rural no address?

2.JPG
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

Then it says county - so assume that to be "deeds county" - are they so rural no address?
                    Yes, I think that the dollar amount is a transfer fee - it seems way too low, and too consistent, to be the sale price of the property. Farmland would probably be given by coordinates, so not an address. This could be used as an index to look up property records, if you had access to them.

I wonder if women's property had to be formally transferred to their spouses?? I don't know women's rights to own property in the time period, and it would vary by state.

I know that when my grandparents bought property in Ohio in the 50's, the local newspaper carried a notice of the sale.
                    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 09-06-19, 15:28.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                      Yes, I think that the dollar amount is a transfer fee - it seems way too low, and too consistent, to be the sale price of the property. Farmland would probably be given by coordinates, so not an address. This could be used as an index to look up property records, if you had access to them.

I wonder if women's property had to be formally transferred to their spouses?? I don't know women's rights to own property in the time period, and it would vary by state.

I know that when my grandparents bought property in Ohio in the 50's, the local newspaper carried a notice of the sale.
                      I did wonder if it was some kind of family transfer as most share same surname, so father to son etc, tried to google - but couldn't think what to search for.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

OK, this would be a labor of love, also known as an exercise left to the reader, but FS has the deeds for Erie county online, but are unindexed, except by county then year (and the index that the county itself used):
                        Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Happy hunting
                        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 10-06-19, 04:21.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks all. Sorry, I got waylaid this weekend. I didn’t mean to not check back in!
                          :D Charney Jo

Comment

Working...
                          X