Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claude henry uhthoff, 133 finborough road

Good afternoon all

This is a story of mystery and intrigue - another one!
    Please help find Claude Henry Uhthoff born 1897 in the 1901 census or could have been sent abroad to live on the continent or to America

Horace Thrasher (later known as Horace Courtenay) was baptised with his cousin Violet Jezard in 1896 while living at 133 Finborough Road with their grandmother Priscilla Thrasher (maiden name Pope) but now known as Priscilla Jezard.

Both Horace and Violet have false parents on their birth certificates and baptisms and are baptised outside of their parish.

Priscilla bought 133 Finborough Road in 1895 at auction and is renting apartments as Mrs May Jezard.

I wanted to try and find further Thrasher/Jezard/Courtenay children living in Finborough Road where Violet had been born or Archel Road where Horace had been born.

Instead I found another baby Claude Henry Uhthoff who had been born at 150 Finborough Road and baptised at the same church as Horace and Violet when living at 133 Finborough Road.

Violet is born in 1890 but not found in the 1891 census, she is at a boarding school with Horace in the 1901 census and then disappears.

Horace's father according to family rumour was an 'illustrious member of the aristocracy, a person of considerable note' and he is found age 7 in the 1901 census with Violet at the girls boarding school - he hated it there!

Claude Henry Uhthoff is born in 1897
    Father Enrique Anthony Uhthoff is born in 1875
    Mother Annie Louisa Brooks is born abt 1880
    Step-father Arthur Henry Parnell is born in 1876

Great-grandfather Henry Roman Uhthoff dies in 1884 leaving a fortune of £166,665 to his son Ludolfe Enrique Uhthoff
    http://www.in2013dollars.com/1884-GB...?amount=116665
    That is £13 million pounds in today's money

1891 census Ludolfe Enrique is a wealthy foreign merchant from Mexico, a Spanish subject and his son Enrique Anthony Uhthoff is living with the family

1891 census Annie is living at home with her parents Edwin and Jane

1891 Arthur is at home with his parents, his father Henry is a corn merchant and miller

1897 Claude Henry Uhthoff is born to Enrique Anthony Uhthoff a merchants clerk and to Annie Louisa Uhthoff formerly Brooks
    THERE IS NO MARRIAGE
    BORN AT 150 FINBOROUGH ROAD

1897 baptism Claude Henry Uhthoff to unmarried parents Enrique Uhthoff and Annie Uhthoff, Henry is a family name
    LIVING AT 133 FINBOROUGH ROAD, APARTMENTS OF MRS MAY JEZARD AND HER MANY OTHER NAMES BESIDES

1901 census Enrique is nowhere to be found but travels to and from the US frequently, could also be on the continent or America with Claude

1901 census Annie is living in residential chambers with other servants before her marriage to Arthur

1901 census Arthur is nowhere to be found but travels to and from the US frequently

1901 census Claude is not living with Annie's parents Edwin and Jane or living with the grandfather Ludolfe or father Enrique or other Uhthoff family in ENGLAND

1901 Annie Louisa Brooks marries Arthur Henry Parnell

1903 grandfather Ludolfe dies and leaves his estate of £14,841 to son Enrique, Ludolfe died in Switzerland
    DID THE FAMILY TAKE CLAUDE ABROAD TO THE CONTINENT
    http://www.in2013dollars.com/1903-GB...7?amount=14841
    That is £1.7 million pounds in today's money

1905 US census Claude is found in St Joseph's School, New Jersey

Annie Louisa Parnell and Claude Henry Parnell regularly travel between England and the US to meet Mr Parnell

1906 Enrique marries Kathleen Collinson

1910 US census Arthur, Annie and Claude are together and Arthur declares that he and Annie have been married for 14 years when they have actually been married for 9 years to protect his wife and step-son from any shame, they have a Japanese servant

Enrique regularly travels from England to the US as he is a foreign merchant but could also be seeing his son

1914 Annie sadly dies and Arthur does not remarry

1923 Claude marries Hilda Mary Chare and Claude states his father is Arthur, the kind man who married his mother and not Enrique, does he know who his birth father is

1939 census Enrique is a retired bank manager living in Surrey, his wife has a lady's companion

1939 census Claude is a press photographer and living in Surrey, did he know about his birth father Enrique, did they meet in Surrey

1948 Enrique dies leaving his estate of £3,275 to his widow Kathleen
    http://www.in2013dollars.com/1903-GB...48?amount=3275
    That's almost £11,000 in today's money

So 133 Finborough Road is a hot bed of intrigue!

Violet born 1890 does not appear in the 1891 census
    Horace born 1893 changes his name by 1901 census
    Claude born 1897 does not appear in the 1901 census
    All live at 133 Finborough Road
    All were baptised at the same church
    Violet's father we have absolutely no idea, an aristocrat, met through the theatre?
    Horace's father is rumoured to be of the aristocracy, met through the theatre, we'll just never know
    Claude's father Enrique came from a wealthy family

I seem to remember reading an article about children being baptised to parents who were pretending to be married and being paid to keep quiet in the Kensington area in late Victorian times but alas can't find again, read a long, long time ago, just as starting this research and didn't realise the significance then.

It's been a fascinating journey, thanks Violet, Horace and Claude.

Thanks Family Tree Forum too for all your help and interest!

This is how Henry Roman Uhthoff made his £116,655 fortune / £13 million today that he left to his son Ludolfe Enrique Uhthoff

Morning Advertiser Saturday 27 April 1872
    Director of The Brazilian Coffee Estates Company Limited, Henry Roman Uhthoff, 12 Leadenhall Street
    This company is setup for the purpose of purchasing and working coffee and cotton estates in Brazil and for the introduction of 10,000 European emigrants into that Empire, in view of the abolition of slave labour throughout the Empire.

So would these 10,000 European emigrants be from the poor lower classses desperate for a new life and being used by their middle class/upper class masters to make their fortunes off the backs of poorly paid employees.

Morning Post Monday 22 December 1879
    Director of The International Bank Of London Limited, Henry Roman Uhthoff, 147 Leadenhall Street
    This company is established to carry on the business of the International Bank Of Hamburg & London (Limited) which was incorporated in March 1872 with the object of taking over the business of the London agency of the International Bank Of Hamburg.

Comment

can you condense this down to a much smaller search to start with, its so confusing, well to me it is

Comment

It would be worth buying the 1903 will, the son Enrique was just the executor, there could be a multitude of beneficiaries.

Comment

Similarly, probate of Enrique in 1948 is granted to his widow, she is not necessarily the only beneficiary so it might be worthwhile buying it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
            Similarly, probate of Enrique in 1948 is granted to his widow, she is not necessarily the only beneficiary so it might be worthwhile buying it.
            Thank you, yes, he may have remembered his son Claude in his will?

Comment

The Thrasher/Jezard/Courtenay branch of our family are very confusing - lots of name changes - hence lots of explanation for cross-referencing.

This is the very first post I ever made, would discount this one now, although it does have useful information.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                plus you seem to have a few searches on different forums ??
                https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boar...thread/1313542
                The Thrasher/Jezard/Courtenay branch of our family are very confusing - lots of name changes - hence lots of explanation for cross-referencing.

This is the very first post I ever made, would discount this one now, although it does have useful information

Comment

Did step-father Arthur Henry Parnall die in 1911 in Manhattan, New York?

When Claude Henry Parnall/Uhthoff marries in 1923 he says his father Arthur Henry Parnall is deceased.

Comment

Uhthoff - wealthy victorian family

Good evening, please help

Enrique Uhthoff is from an extremely wealthy family
                    Annie Louisa Brookes is a servant
                    Enrique and Annie have a child Claude Henry Uhthoff, stating on his birth certificate and baptism that they are married but they are not

Unable to find:

1911 England Census
                    Enrique Anthony Uhthoff
                    born 1875
                    Kathleen May Uhthoff (maiden name Collinson)
                    Ida May Adelaide Uhthoff born 1906 (named after her mother and grandmother Adelaida who died suddenly in 1888 aged 42)

1911 England Census
                    Arthur Henry Parnall (but could have died 1911 in Manhattan, New York)
                    Annie Louisa Parnall born 1880 (maiden name Brookes)
                    Claude Henry Parnall/Uhthoff born 1897

Or there is every possibility that they are living abroad or travelling to and from the UK

It seems with Claude, the Uhthoff family are happy for him to be in the 1905 US Census and 1910 US Census but not the 1901 UK Census and 1911 UK Census - do people know in advance when the census is going to take place to go abroad or just be 'out' to not complete their information

Claude's father Enrique was in the 1896 newspapers, so his family are well known, his father Ludolfe left the family a £1.7MILLION fortune and grandfather Henry left the family a £13MILLION fortune appear in the newspapers regularly too - having an illegitimate child with a 17 year old servant in 1897 would have been scandalous for such a wealthy family.

Claude, his father Enrique and grandfather Ludolfe are also not found on the 1901 census, perhaps Claude has been taken abroad as Ludolfe dies in Switzerland in 1903.

Could a wealthy family have such control over hiding an illegitimate child in Victorian times.

Thank you for your help.
                    Last edited by Jill on the A272; 03-06-19, 06:01. Reason: name changed to Enrique Anthony Uhthoff

Comment

I have merged the two threads about Claude together - even so, it will be hard for people to keep track here as well as on other forums.
                      Caroline
                      Caroline's Family History Pages
                      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thank you, more condensed story now.

Comment

so you just want to find the 1911 census?

you wrote on first post:

and then on second post:
                          Unable to find:

1911 England Census
                          Enrique Henry Uhthoff born 1875
                          Ida May Adelaide Uhthoff born 1906 (named after her mother and grandmother Adelaida who died suddenly in 1888 aged 42)

are these the same person, sorry I found too much information to digest, and which is the correct middle name. I can see many many entries on Ancestry for Enrique A Uhthoff - is this address not enough to locate the building on the 1911 census and confirm that he is not resident in the house at the time?

Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                            so you just want to find the 1911 census?

you wrote on first post:

and then on second post:
                            Unable to find:

1911 England Census
                            Enrique Henry Uhthoff born 1875

are these the same person, sorry I found too much information to digest, and which is the correct middle name. I can see many many entries on Ancestry for Enrique A Uhthoff - is this address not enough to locate the building on the 1911 census and confirm that he is not resident in the house at the time?

My apologies it should be Enrique Anthony Uhthoff and not Enrique Henry Uhthoff

Comment

I thought you could only search for names on the censuses and not able to search for streets only?

In the 1911 London Electoral Register Enrique's place of abode is Saxonhurst, Effingham Road, Surbiton
                              description of qualifying property 8, 9 & 10 St Helen's - what does that mean please?

I don't know how to look up an address without a name on the censuses, thought that was a weakness for looking up and so the electoral registers useful for addresses?

Comment

I have changed the name on post #11 for you Lorraine, you can only edit yourself in the first 10 minutes after posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                                  I have changed the name on post #11 for you Lorraine, you can only edit yourself in the first 10 minutes after posting.
                                  Thanks Jill

I tried to reply to your private message but it says my options for mail are turned off?

Comment

1911 census is often quite searchable if you put road name in the keywords and enter the lived in as the area, bit hit and miss - but often works.

Also if you locate other residents nearby you can use them to find the address.

I am assuming he may own some of the properties he has lived in so would check a few out, here is how I look in Ancestry as that is the only sub I have:

I have him at 17 Glazbury Road in 1905 in a directory and could easily find that road, an 1911 Clanton Thomas is living there in 1911, so had moved on from there.

1909 and 1910 I have him in Saxonhurst, Effingham Road Epsom
                                    here is a resident in the road:

Registration district: Kingston
                                    Registration District Number: 40
                                    Sub-registration district: Esher
                                    ED, institution, or vessel: 7
                                    Household schedule number: 40
                                    Piece: 3555

enter piece as exact, effingham in keywords and esher gives you the road, all properties are named and not numbered, so at a quick glance not found property, so need a bit of time on that one, Saxonhurst not showing on a search.

1914 and 1915 He is in Birds Oak, Oxshott, Epsom Surrey

this one is quite searchable, Birds Oak in keywords as exact and oxshott as lived in

and have found Ida Uhthoff with daughter Ida Mary, and her sister Maria Anonia. No Henry so must be away from household, so would he be abroad, or elsewhere in England?
                                    Ancestry has them transcribed as Upthoff

hopefully this helps
                                    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 03-06-19, 10:04.
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

The name has been transcribed on Find my Past as Upthoff as well.
                                      This is the link for Ancestry:
                                      Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

The electoral registers were about year out of date by the time they were published so the 1911 one for Saxonhurst was probably his previous address.
                                      Last edited by Katarzyna; 03-06-19, 11:27.
                                      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Working...
                                      X