British Library Large Scale plans/maps of Urban Areas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Library Large Scale plans/maps of Urban Areas

Goad's Fire Insurance Plans for major cities and towns made between 1886 and 1930. I don't think this is in our Ref Library.
    The maps are large and zoomable but flash required.
    I have found several named roads in towns my family lived but most interesting is the detail given for industry/factories where ancestors may have worked.
    Quote from a particular Manchester map for example to give you an idea of what the maps detail.

"This detailed 1902 plan of Manchester is one of a series of twenty-three sheets (for Manchester alone) in an atlas originally produced to aid insurance companies in assessing fire risks. The building footprints, their use (commercial, residential, educational, etc.), the number of floors and the height of the building, as well as construction materials (and thus risk of burning) and special fire hazards (chemicals, kilns, ovens) were documented in order to estimate premiums. Names of individual businesses, property lines, and addresses were also often recorded. Together these maps provide a rich historical snapshot of the commercial activity and urban landscape of towns and cities at the time. The British Library holds a comprehensive collection of fire insurance plans produced by the London-based firm Charles E. Goad Ltd. dating back to 1885. These plans were made for most important towns and cities of the British Isles at the scales of 1:480 (1 inch to 40 feet), as well as many foreign towns at 1:600 (1 inch to 50 feet)."

Last edited by Katarzyna; 21-05-19, 09:48.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

It's there now - thank you.

Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
    X